Wind up Lanterns

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan Sears, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I might buy a hand cranked/wind up lantern? They would be like the wind-up radios which require 90 seconds of winding up & they play for 1 hour. Thought that it would be very handy for power outages & I wouldn't have to have extra batteries always on hand. I have tried the Real Goods company but they don't have any. I do have a wind up radio which I heartly recommend.

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

ME TOO!! I looove looove loooove my little radio!! I got it at a Y2K rally/seminar in Mesquite in summer '99. I wish I knew an online site for things like that.... I'll keep checking this thread for a link.

3. I don’t know if they make wind up lanterns. I would think it would take a lot of cranking to generate enough light to read or find you way in the dark. For emergency lighting an oil or a pressure lantern is a good bet. For oil, I would recommend Dietz or an Aladdin. For a pressure lamp, I would go with a Coleman or a Petromax. Southern lamp and supply (http://www.oillampman.com/) usually has a good selection of lanterns.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

5. C. Crane company has everything plus the wind up light/radio.

They have EXCELLANT customer service, free shipping and great prices for all things electronic and radio

www.ccrane.com

or

www.ccradio.com

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan doesn't Canadian Tire have it? Crud I've seen one advertised locally somewhere. LeBarons comes to mind too. LeBarons certainly sells battery powered LED Flashlights. There's a good sized one in their catalog that will run for 600 hours non-stop for about $70 made by Browning I think. 600/ 8 hours a day is 75 days. You know we have a LeBarons in Bells Corners? (potentially dumb question!!)

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

cheaperthandirt.com has had solar flashlights in the past and may have a solar lantern. Check em out for great prices. My handcrank radio with light that I bought from them before Y2K runs on battery, crank or solar. We find it very easy to keep charged and it takes a beating.

Depending on what you want it for, the solar lantern from Real Goods might be a good investment. Portable enough that you can move it around toward the sun, it costs about $150 and says a charge lasts 6 hours. That's great for a long winter night.

Check out SierraTradingPost.com and campmor.com for one time deals. Sierra often has solar powered stuff for camping and portable power for $$ off regular prices elsewhere.

8. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

9. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Actually, I saw a radio/light combo at Menards about two months ago. Had a crank for charging....I played around with it.....pretty cool!!!!!!!

10. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

I took one of those russian "pumper" flashlights, and retrofitted it to take 2 white LED's. It now takes less energy to pump the handle, and the bulb won't burn out before the bearings in the pump give out. Total cost was about $20.

11. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

12. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all of your great tips & websites. Ross Radio Shack had one for sale for $39 but when I enquired about it they told me they were all soldout & didn't know when they would be getting any more in. I forgot about LeBarons, I will enquire & see what they have.
    Thanks to all.