Wind Turbine Questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lynn & Chuck, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Lynn & Chuck

Lynn & Chuck Member

Hi All, I have been interested in cutting our expenses for our farm down.
    We have changed in heating from a fuel oil furnace to a cornstove this year, and that has made an impact, it is slowly paying itself off. If diesel stays high - it just pays itself off more quickly.

Anyway back on topic - are there any of you using wind turbines small or larger size to cover your electric needs.
    How big are your turbines that you use?
    Any specific problems or things to look for with them?

Any comments good and bad about their power generating capabilities would be great. We are in South Dakota and the wind blows all the time - except for just before the big thunderstorms hit.

Thanks all,
    Chuck

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

3. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Ive never been a real fan of wind turbines unless you are in an area of constant wind. just remember a 2400 watt turbine is equal to 200 amps @ 12 volts or 20 amps @ 120 volts. Unless you have a larger battery bank then is hard to consistantly power anything not to mention the initial cost of the turbine, batteries, inverter, etc

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I was very interested in wind power several years ago but the cost of getting set up was prohibitive. I remember that one of the things I read was that some states/ electric companies allowed you to run the wind power you produced through the meter from the electric company. When the wind blew and you were producing more electricity than you were using, the meter ran backward. When there was no wind and you were using electricity from the company, the meter ran forward. Is anyone hooked up like this?