wind power

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by bryon huff, Jun 14, 2006.

1. bryon huff

bryon huff Well-Known Member

want to add to my soler panals windy all the time want a small wind generator anybody know of any good ones and no homemade I dont want to burn down my cabin thanks

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Bet Jimme will set you right up on this one.

BooBoo

3. bryon huff

I see northern tool has one fir $699 that the size i want know of any cheaper

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The one in Northern tool is actually a Southwest AirX (403). There's quite a few places on the web it can be had for $550 to $600. I see them on Ebay every once in a while for $300 to $450.

I can't talk about the quality of it as I don't have any experience with them. I know Jim-mi doesn't much care for them. Suprised he hasn't Chimed in yet.

5. mightybooboo

Jim-mi must be gone,another gripe with the air 403 was you needed a SERIOUS wind to put out any usable power.

Im leery to post because we have a wind Pro here,but know you want some feedback.Really would prefer our expert to tell you the story,but at least you have a little to chew on while we wait.Werent they noisy too,cant remember for sure.

BooBoo

6. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Yup, I've been off setting a 120' monopole tower for a Bergey Excel (10 k )
    Trying to catch up here before off to the energy fairs.

To bryon h. ... What class wind area are you in ... ?

Unless you have constant 25-30 mph winds forget that toy.
    And if you perchance do have that much wind then be ready to buy some ear muffs for the roar you will have to endure.

Your best bet right now would be to come to the MREA Energy Fair---June 23-24-25
    www.the-mrea.org
    There you can wander around all the exhibiters see the other (better) equipment and go to the workshops and LEARN a whole bunch about wind systems.

7. bryon huff

yes lots wind on mt anni and the wind blows up in the morning down the mt at night there a guy down tha hell from me and i cant hear his I have stoped my atv to look at it I jest want somthing to add to soler but if you think there a wast of money I dont know and I i live in eastern wa.

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

We live in an area where 25+ mph winds are pretty common, southwest montana on top of a mountain. we have an airX403 mounted at 30 feet and have been very pleased with it. It makes electricity in noticable amounts probably 5 days a week and DOES NOT ROAR! It actually makes a very pleasant sound, kind of like a loft "whoosh" when the winds hit about 30 + mph. Maybe you need a big one but we are planning on getting another little one since it works so well for us along with our 6 kyocera 120 watt panels. up to you of course, just wanted to share the other side of the issue.

9. mightybooboo

What do you like better,the panels or the wind generator?

BooBoo

10. bryon huff

thanks I think iwill get the newer air x went down to the guy down the hill from me and the wind was blowing hard and it spining and not that bad sounding and i dont need that much more power i have soler to thanks

11. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Good reply sisterpine,
    But how many of us live on a mountain top..........
    So in a sense you are fortunate to have a very good wind rescource. A lot of folks who *want* windpower have a very poor location for wind.
    And a 30' stick to boot..........lucky you.

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

indeed! while there are many draw backs to living at altitude on the continental divide we do at least have wind!

i do not think i like either better. need wind to make power with the airx and need sun to make power with the panels....some days we have one or the other, some days (today) we have both and some days we have neither! I will always vote for a mixed system though. Want two more panels and one more Airx and then a bigger inverter and my system will finally be done!

13. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there a web site that has listings of wind averages by geographic location?

We plan on renting an ananometer from real goods to get the best answer. Our elevation is around 900 feet, and generally I think the winds average 5 to 15 MPH. Many times there are frequent gusts around 25 MPH.

Rick

Rick

14. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi Rick,
    Here is (I think) is a good way to get an idea how good the winds are in your area:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Wind/WindResource.htm

www.Otherpower.com sells an kit to make an anemometer -- that might be an alternative to renting one? How much does Real Goods get for the rental?

Here is another alternative:
    http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html?target=p_1.html&lang=en-us
    I made one of their early kits, and it worked well for about 2 years, then pooped out.

Gary

15. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

For my masters degree I have been doing a wind resource assessment. I have collected wind data on a radio tower at 35m, 75m, and 112m for going on 3 years now and comparing it to airport data at 10m. The difference between airport data at 30 feet and tower data at 300 feet is literally night and day. The wind isn't just stronger at 300 feet, it is much much more continuous. Working with nature has been very humbling also. Very complex. I have been trying to find the relationship between the airport data and the tower data so I could predict 50 years of tower data and it has been very difficult. No two days are ever exactly the same. Nature has way too many variables. Most science labs aren't all that wind though.

I would have to say there is no substitute for actually going out and doing it, so I would try to understand whatever Jim-mi has to offer, and perhaps try to pick up some of what he has forgotten also. I think he has said before that you want to get as tall a tower as you possibly can afford. It might be practical for this to be about half the cost of a good wind energy system. I would say if you are blessed with a nice bald windy hill then an extra tall tower would be even more likely to pay for itself than on an inferior site.

Of course tower costs go up exponentially with height, and there is probably some practical relationship with the size of the generator to make it worthwhile going higher. I think practical wind power might be a go big or stay home situation. Perhaps at least 1 kw on a 60 foot tower in a bald windy location. Perhaps at least 3kw and at least 80 feet above treetops in hilly area with trees. Might be worthwhile switching from trees to growing blueberries on that hilltop also. I think 10kw at 100-120 feet could be very economical but only if you have something to do with 10kw when you get it all at once. It is really too much for practical battery storage. Perhaps in the future you could convert the excess to hydrogen and use it for your car and your tractor. The initial 1-3kw for domestic electical use would then be very steady and reliable.

16. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Jim-mi,
    What is the best tower strategy for dealing with potential for ice storms?

17. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Saw a few small-scale wind towers laying on their side here after 3-4 winters. They looked like radio/ cell towers, the angled metal tubes zig-zagged together.

The commercial towers are all big solid tube, far less for ice to stick to. I'll bet that is spendy, but most solid.

I really like your other message on taller is better, totally agree. Wind power is all about efficiency, not cheap or 'good enough' wind; but getting the most from the generator you have. And starting with a good one. On a tall, tall pole.

--->Paul

18. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

It would be fun to see some of your data JAK.
    "night and day difference"------you got that right.
    It can be said that the power of the wind goes up by the cube with height.
    So you can see why the big commercial turbines blade tips will be up in the 400' range.
    And some of the air port wind data came/comes from a unit on a 15' pole out on the runway area. Totally useless data for a wind turbine. Only good for wind sheer data at the surface.

What ever you put up--Ma Nature-- is going to ice up.

I remember (with a chuckle) the TV news talking heads flinching every time chunks of ice hit the roof of their studio----falling from the 1000+' tower.

When the tower starts sheading ice....STAY away........lol

19. bryon huff

I live a 3800ft so i have about 300 days of sun and a lot of wind I have4 6 volt battarys and 200 watts soler 2000 sine wave i have about $ 2500 in to it

20. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Gary

Thanks for the URLs.

Ironically, I'll have to wait til next time I can squeeze a couple of minutes online to check them out. (Laptop battery is low, and I have 30 minutes of "light" to grab a shower.

Rick