wind power for proivate home

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by cliffhangers, Sep 13, 2004.

1. cliffhangers

cliffhangers New Member

We are just beginning to look into windmill power as an option for electricity for the home we would like to build, due to the slim possibility of not being able to use normal power due to an easement dispute. Can anyone give information about how much it might cost to get started with wind power? thanks

2. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

Homepower magazine and Backwoodshome magazine both have internet sites, lots of free articles on off grid power systems.

kurt

3. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Unless you have a fairly steady wind day-in day-out then I would not recommend wind power. The average wind generator put equivilant to 2 - 4 100amp car alternator. 2400 watts is only (2) 20 amp 120 volt circuit.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, wind power is come & go, the storage costs too much for small scale. The best use of wind power is in states like Minnesota where the Buffalo Ridge are offers steady winds and the power companies must buy back generated power at wholesale prices. You put up a moderate sized windmill & let it feed power to the power company (legally & with proper disconnects, etc) and it should pay off in 12 years or so. You use the power company for your 'battery bank'.

Get the easement cleared up.

--->Paul

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless your on the coast with constant wind, wind power should only be used for VERY low power needs or as secondary power options.

6. JV

JV Well-Known Member

If you are not connected to the grid wind power is only a viable year round power supplier in very consistently windy areas, and even then you would need lots of batteries and a backup supply. A good windsystem can get very expensive. A solar / wind system for the average house can be had for $30-40,000. A first step might be to check with your state for any incentives on renewable energy. You can probably find this out on the homepower site. If you are still intersted you can always get whats called a site assessment. These usually cost around $100 and should give you a good idea about the feasability for such a system in your area. A quick phone call to a renewable energy installer might give you a good idea of the feasability of such a project in your area in only a few minutes. Personally, depending on where you are located I would be thinking more solar wise, especially if you can be frugal with your energy use and could install such a system yourself. If you are having easement problems with a power line you could have problems with a windtower as well. Good luck

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

With the price or electricity these days maybe a serious look at a wind and solar system has some merit. Using propane appliances and power saving flouresant might well be an option. The easment and running standard utilities can run 30k pretty easily and then you pay monthly for the rest of your life.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

We just found an outfit in Spokane Washington that makes a unit similar in design to the old areomotor windmills and will staasart producing at 3mph winds, they produce 40 amps at full windpower.... cost about $1700.00 per unit.... We are thinking about replacing the little airx 403 generator that trickles into the battery bank on our wireless towers with them.

I will have to see if they have a website.

William

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably not the place - what brand do they have - but an interesting site from that area:

http://wind.dynalias.com/

--->Paul

10. owhn

owhn Well-Known Member

Cliffhanger:

I'm not sure what "due to the slim possibility of not being able to use normal power due to an easement dispute" means.

Does this mean in your easement dispute, you may not be able to install grid power?

If you are serious enough to spend a 34 bucks, buy Paul Gipe's latest book, "Wind Power, Revised Edition: Renewable Energy for Home, Farm, and Business"

from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=lpr_g_1/104-4305153-7018358?v=glance&s=books

Its simply the best book on the subject I know of.
    My guess is you will realize windpower is NOT for every one.
    Economically, as a hobby, it may be more rewarding than, say golfing or sailing. As an investment ???? Well, you may do better in a passbook savings account.

BTW if you have an easement dispute NOW, imagine what fun you will have in your windpower permitting process from neighbors who MAY claim visual pollution.

I would suggest considering a solar/genset combination .... as a starter for your off grid system.

my .02c worth.

owhn