wilting cucumbers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by evilbunny, Jul 14, 2004.

1. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

My cucumbers are wilting. It seems only parts of the vines are doing this and it seems to be starting from the leaves back. Within one day two vines have withered to the point of death.

I noticed my zucchini is doing similar but not to the same extreme.

There are potato bugs on them. I didnt think there were enough to worry about the plants. There's also another bug that I always called a stink bug. It looks like a prehistoric thing. The front is pointy, it has legs kind of like a gran daddy long legs, and has a hard shell type diamond shaped back.

Could either of these bugs be causing the damage? I havent seen the stink bug on the zucchini.

Any ideas?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Stink bug will do that. Turn back the leaves and look for eggs on the back side of the leaves and on the stems. Take any wilted vines, cut them down to the ground and burn them. Get some rubbing alcohol, saturate a rag and wipe any eggs and young off the stems and leaves. The young are tiny green monsters. Any adults you see you need to catch with a rag or paper towel saturated with alcohol.

3. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

Alcohol wont hurt the plants?

I hate stink bugs with a passion already, now I really hate them. I thought they were a beneficial bug...sigh wonder where I got that.

There are lots of tiny brown eggs that I've been wiping off. Guess alcohol would be better since it should kill them.

Thanks for the tip

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

alcohol won't harm the plant if you don't leave the soaked rag on it. It evaporates pretty quickly, but not before the bugs and eggs die. You're welcome.

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I would also consider looking the vines over closely for vine borers. You can tell if you have them by little holes and "saw dust" looking leavings around the hole. You can make a slice in the vine and remove and kill the borer.

6. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member