Will you be buried on your land?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freya, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Freya

Freya Can't find bacon seeds Supporter

Or have your ashes spread? Have any of you planned this out already?

I am pondering on this tonight.

2. My wife's parents own property that has been in the family for generations . There is a family cemetery on the property . Our plots are reserved there . I've been seriously considering going ahead & putting in the headstone .

3. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I have a spot picked out down by the barn.... its easy digging there, plenty of dirt before getting to the rock. Have a neighbor with a backhoe so it shouldnt be too much problem fer Yvonne to call him over, dig a hole, toss my sorry carcass in and cover it up.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Catholic Church recommends burial on "Sacred Ground" so we have purchased a plot in our church's cemetary.

Plan to buy a headstone this summer.

Hope to have "our farm" etched on the stone.
    We've seen others like this that look very nice.

5. PNP Katahdins

PNP Katahdins sheep & antenna farming Supporter

I'd like to have my ashes spread in the round sheepdog training pen at the top of the farm. I should have spread my mom's ashes at the wildlife area around one of the bluebird houses she took care of for so many year, but didn't.

Peg

6. stormywood

stormywood Well-Known Member

My ashes will be spread in our pasture, with my passed critters!

7. pheasantplucker

pheasantplucker Well-Known Member Supporter

My ashes are to be spread around my cabin and up in the woods above my place. There will be a stone celtic cross up in the woods as my marker citing my name and the number of days I lived.

8. good2beus

good2beus Well-Known Member

Our ashes are all going to be scattered at the family farm. We've chosen the area on the side of the mountain near where my Dad used to sit on a huge rock sometimes during hunting season. Dad died first (5 years ago), so his ashes are there already. It's so peaceful to go there. I have a question too, if the OP doesn't mind. Would you mark the spot, (fence, headstones, monuments) or since in our case it's ashes, not actual burials, leave it "natural". Our family hasn't decided.

9. barnyardgal

barnyardgal Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to be buried on their place when probably after you die down the road your family will eventually sell the place & the new owners might not want a gravesite on the place unless there is already a cemetary on the place,that would be different...but just one grave???

As far as spreading your ashes,don't forsee a problem with this as long as the new owners in years to come don't know about it,might spook them a little...LOL...

I will be buried in the family cemetary....

When i bought this place years ago i did not know but there are two grave markers down along the field & found out later,one was from a favorite cow and another was from a favorite dog...have to admit its a pain to mow around...AND no one comes to visit the graves either..

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

My grandparents donated part of their homestead to be used for the local cemetery. It is very well kept and to date there are annual Memorial Day services. I plan to be buried in it beside my maternal great grandfather.

In addition to a marker provided for a veterans grave I wish to have a slab marker over my grave that has the family tree cut into it. Though expensive it will be quite an aid to future genealogists.

My plans might be different if I thought my daughter and husband might wish to be buried there rather than the town where he grew up or where they live now.

11. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

I am planning on having this Adonis-like body bronzed for posterity.
    Either that, or having myself blown up. (and this is a joke)

I have my 'wake' planned out, complete with guest list, menu and beverages.

And if my wife doesn't follow through with it, I'll come back and haunt her :D

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We checked into the family cemetery creation, but Texas law won't allow it for our place, as it's too close to the city limit.

I really don't care what they do with the carcass.

13. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member Supporter

Once I die I'm to be cremated. What happens to the ashes will be up to whom-ever of my family is still around....... Don't think I'll be in any condition to complain!

14. Old Swampgirl

Old Swampgirl Well-Known Member

Yep. My ashes will be added to the compost bin & will then make it into the garden. Wish I could recycle the whole carcass. but laws here won't allow that.

15. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Hmm...I didn't realize this...suppose you had your area blessed? I want ashes on our land, then a tree. DH wants me to take his to the adirondacks, 4th lake, BY the lake.

16. pheasantplucker

pheasantplucker Well-Known Member Supporter

I am a part of the land that I work. The land is a part of me. That's why when my time on this world is done, I wish to be returned to it (ashes). It doesn't matter if the property is sold or given or whatever. New owners gonna be spooked by something like that? If they are that "flighty" then they aren't gonna last more than a year or two, anyway. Who cares what they think? Not me.

17. kirkmcquest

kirkmcquest Well-Known Member

Not sure where I'll be buried but I'd like it to be a natural burial...without a coffin.

18. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of my ashes are to be scattered on these Indiana Hills, somewhere. DSW wants a bit of the ashes to keep as a Memory. One or two of the DKids might also.
    It's all okay with me..........

19. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Never understood cemetaries. We will be cremated, a portion of the ashes will be placed in a Christmas ornament for each kid so they have to "visit" us once a year. The rest will be scattered.

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My ashes will be spread in the river where I was Baptized.

big rockpile