Will tis meat still be any good?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 19, 2005.

1. Yesterday evening at about 7:30/8:00 p.m. I skinned a squirrel out and stuck him in a bowl full of cold water, to soak for a little bit. My intentions was to let the blood soak out of it for a little while and then wrap him up and place him in the freezer. I got up at about 5:20 a.m. this morning and realized I had forgoten all about the squirrel still being in the bowl in the sink. So it has been in the sink for about 9 hours. The water is still cool but not real cool. Do you think it would still be good or should it become dog food?

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't like pepper but I would pepper h@ll out of this meat if I was eating it- pepper has demonstrated anti bacterial actions in laboratory tests.

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Eat it, you will be fine. It is common in Spain and I believe other European countries to let their game hang in the open air several days before cooking. Of course they do leave the skin on. Personally, I think game that is hung for a while tastes much better.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'd not eat it myself cause I detest and despise squirrel! However, soaking overnite in cool water shouldn't affect the edible qualities of the meat. You were going to cook it, weren't you? LOL

5. Yes, yes, yes, I was going to cook it for sure, as I like my meat well done! But I got to thinking that by the time I got home with the squirrel it had already lost most all of its body heat plus the fact that it was chilly outside when I skinned it out and then I completely submerged it in cold tap water. So the water should help keep out bacteria shouldn't it? So, it is a very young squirrel so I will probably fry the h@ll out of it anyway as grandmotherbear suggested. I guess I'll give it a try!