Will this work?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by brierpatch1974, Dec 27, 2005.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Well now that I have the one and one half acres fenced in and shelters built this is my plan for spring. I want to get one boer buck, 4 boer does and one Saanan doe and one boer wether. I am going to fence off almost a half acre for the buck and wether and keep the 5 does in the other acre.
    I am thinking the buck needs some company sense he will only be placed with the does at breeding time. Also I want the sanaan to milk so I can use the milk, learn to make some butter and soap as well. I am in West Virginia so not sure what the market is for meat goats but I have seen a few boers for sale listed from 100 to 250 dollars. I will sell all offspring when its time to do so.
    I plan on getting young does and buck. I won't keep any of the young and If I decide I am going to then I will get a differant buck or just find somone with one for breeding. My biggest concern is over crowding. Will one acre be enough space for 5 does and their young? Babies will be sold as soon as they are old enough. I want them to have plenty of space and not be over crowded. Thanks for all the help

Rick

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You should be able to run 7 head and there offspring to the acre. In your area.. plus winter feed. You might think about selling the young does for breeding females..

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like a good plan, Rick. You should have about a perfect amount of space for 5 does and their kids on that acre in your area of the countryun many more for worms can become a real problem if you overcrowd. And overcrowding is extremely easy with as fast as goats multiply! :eek: The buck kids will be good meat wethers for yourself or somone else and the doelings can be sold as replacement does if the quality is there. Giving plenty of room for the buck and his companion is great!

4. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

You should have plently of space. If however you don't supply Grain or Hay as well as the pasture then you might have them wearing out their pasture.

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I have about 15 does on one acre of land but I feed hay year round. My bucks have a small padlock.
    but we are buying a bigger farm were I hope to fence 10acres.
    Sounds like you have a ncie set up-Liz
    Teacup Farm

6. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Currently I have two Saanen Alpine crosses on a arce (A Wether and a Doe). This summer I will be getting a Oberhasli Buckling and a Oberhasli Doe. I might also be getting two Pygmy Wethers. I will be running all Six together in their fenced in acre. I will have off spring from the two Does each year. I am hoping that I can keep their pasture from being worn down by supplying free choice hay and small amounts of Grain twice a day.