Will this grow?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MikesMate, Mar 24, 2006.

1. MikesMate

MikesMate Well-Known Member

This is probably a stupid question, but.. I pruned some branches off my fruit trees about a week ago. They're pretty big limbs, they already had leaves on them. My question is can I plant these? Will they live and what do I have to do to them?

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i think you can, just like you would propagate woody perennials. i'm not if sure the fruit would come true. it's certainly the hard way to get new trees. it takes about 3 years to get them started good.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

No, it won't work. The only way that it will work is if you could graft them onto other rootstock. That is the ONLY way to propagate all apple varieties.

Martin

5. tweety

tweety Tweety

If the question is simply "will it grow?" the answer is probably not. Woody plants will root from new growth that is still green and soft, but once the branches have turned to wood the chances of success are slim to none.

6. MikesMate

MikesMate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, preciate it!

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

You can grow most deciduous plants from softwood cuttings and/or hardwood cuttings. Process is basically the same except that hardwood cuttings usually take a little longer to root. If the woody cuttings are pencil thickness then maybe if you remove all the leaves except the top ones. If they have been out of the ground and been cut long enough ago that the inner bark is starting to dry out then probably not. If the size of the cuttings is rather large like half inch thick or more then...no...they won't work. It is best also to get leaf buds on your cuttings, and not the fruiting buds. Gennerally it is best to get hardwood cuttings in the spring or late winter before the buds break.

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

If they grow they would 'come true' as they are genetically identical. Only seeds don't come true.
    You wouldn't get the special root stalk from these branches.
    My neighbours sticks apple tree branches in water and roots them. I've never heard of this, and have never been successful, but I've seen them do it. Green, slimy mosquito infested garbage cans too!
    Figs yes, not much else.