Will This cause a problem?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have a pregnant doe. She is getting close, but could has anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to go. We had a buck, but he got sick with UC and his plumbing got rearranged. We had sent him off to a friends to breed her does before his illness. They had beautiful babies, but mostly bucklings. They called and asked if we wanted a buckling. Since ours can't breed anymore we said yes. Especially since it is the son of ours. We picked him up today and he is gorgeous, with a great personality, just like his dad. We didn't want to put him with the adult buck, so we put him in the barn. He is in the stall next to the pregnant doe. They can see each other and nuzzle over the wall, but can't get in with each other. My question is this: Will having a young one (1 week old) so close cause her not to deliver hers? Have seen this happen with horses and wondered if the same thing could happen. This is our first freshening and hers as well, just don't want any problems. Its bad enough we don't know exactly when she got pregnant.

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Don't understand ?? How will she not deliver and have her kids ?? When the time comes..it comes ?? A week old kid..feel sorry for the little guy all alone. Why wouldn't they keep him a little longer..need the milk ?? Many years ago we had a doe that would accept any other does kids..one in a million..perhaps this doe will accept this older one also when her kids arrive and are a few weeks old if she kids soon. Good Luck !!

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

A horse that seemed to not deliver after contact with another foal was not pregnant to start with. Pregnancy is a one-way road -- there's only one way out! And that is by giving birth!! With the exception that very early in the pregnancy once in while something will cause the barely started fetus to reabsorb -- I've had that happen with two goats I bought when they were only a few weeks pregnant. But if your doe is nearing the end of her pregnancy, rest assured she will deliver her kids! It's the new little buck who has been stressed, not your doe, so she should be fine. I'm assuming you are bottle feeding the little guy? He really should have another goat in with him for company. You could keep him with the doe (if there is some place for him to get away from her if she decides to be aggressive) until she goes into labor. Then you'll have to keep him separated from her newborns until they are big enough to get away from any aggressiveness on his part.

Kathleen

4. Starsmom

We had to go ahead and take the little one today because they were going out of town and they tend to get rid of the babies early on anyway. He is getting lots of attention from us and the doe can see him. She seems to like him. She talks to him and nuzzles him over the wall. There is a section of the wall that is only a few feet and she nuzzles him. She could get over if she wanted, but she hasn't. He seems to like her, I would put him in with her, but I'm afraid he will try and nurse on her like he did with his mother.

As for the horse, she did finally deliver. The mother died after the baby was born and the 2nd mare took over caring for the foal. She was due at the same time as the one that died. She began nursing the foal and just didn't deliver. The vet had to come out and induce labor. As it was explained to me horses have some control over timing of their delivery. She decided she had her baby and just didn't deliver. Eventually of course whe would deliver, but it could become an unhealthy situation. She eventually delivered and cared for both without a problem.

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

of course she likes him , hes a baby , and as far as she is concerned he "could" be hers, since she is so close, and he is so little

what happened with the mare was an EXCEEEDINGLY rare thing , trust me , i have been telling pet parents and soon to birth mommies that eventually , they WILL deliver, even myself , i know sometime around the end of july :D Sigh....

the only 2 animals that can absorb a developing fetus, are pigs and rabbits, rabbit can absorb anywhere within th first 3 weeks, of preg(they only gestate a month)
    and pigs can for the first month as well,
    but this is rare and generally happens in severe stress or poor nutrition ,
    your doe isnt in either state, shes close to popping, i am sure if you had a stethescope , and knew what to listen for you could hear the little taters in her tummy
    (kind of hard with the rumen noises but possible)

she will deliver, and might adopt the little guy if you dont think its wierd for him to nurse off his future "goaty wife" , try putting him in with her after the babies she has are 3 days old ( they need the colostrum) if nothing else it might save you some bottle feeding time
    dont worrry when he is ready to breed and she comes into heat, she wont care that he used to be "her baby"

since if youre timing your breedings he will be seperated from her before then anyhow

6. Starsmom

I'm trying my hand at posting a picture of the new guy. His name is Zorro and is a full Alpine. He is the son of our buck Lewis.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Make sure you address the UC problem in your management before this buckling goes onto grain. Use ammonium chloride in the grain or make sure the calcium in his diet (alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets) is twice the amount he gets in grain.

Behlaf, goats absorb fetus also. We have had a couple of nearly absorbed 'kids' born, small mummies along with healthy kids in the same delivery. Vicki

8. Starsmom

I already am. I purchased Show chow that has the ammonium chloride already in it. I will be introducing this to him as I wean him off the bottle. Not for a while yet. Is it better to use the ammonium cholride and put it in their food or water? I sure don't like the price of the Show Chow.

How do I put a picture up?

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

what comes in goes out. she will kid, when she is ready.