will this attract mice?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by prairie hill, Sep 19, 2006.

1. prairie hill

prairie hill Well-Known Member

We recently moved my mom into a mobile home on our property. We need to increase insulation around the base of the house, and often see straw bales used around the perimeter of a house for insulating. Will doing this attract mice to the house? We have had a lot of mice trying to move in this summer - and in the midst of battling the beasties, REALLY don't want to inadvertantly issue any "invitations" to any dwellings, ya know? :confused:

Thanks for your help.

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

YES!!! Straw = mice!!! But the straw does help insulate ALOT....can you put lots of mice bait underneath the mobile before you put the straw around first? Or, that insulation board works good for mobiles too. Can't think of it's proper name at the moment. Comes in 4 X 8 sheets and you cut it to fit and them generally put metal skirting up over that so it doesn't show.

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Ann Mary is right, straw is a product which rodents like to live in. It could be rodent proofed, but it wouldn't be as easy as using foam insulation. Straw is not free anymore since so many people have built straw bale homes. Now it costs a lot plus you must cover it to keep the mice from living in it. Covering it is not so technical, but it is not simple either. Nor is it free. The insulation value of straw is not that good either, despite what some advocates profess. If it is dry and enclosed it can be an R value of around 3 per inch. Cellulose fiber is a better R value, but it cannot be stacked and must be inserted in a cavity. Foam also has some problems. Carpenter ants like to make nests in thick foam, and can easily go through thin foam. Termites can go through foam without a problem. Neither insect eats it, but it does create a pathway for problem insects into the rest of the residence.

4. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

I use straw bales at my crawlspace vents. I haven't had much trouble w/mice and I think it's because I sprinkle some moth balls under the bale when I place them.

5. prairie hill

prairie hill Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback on my question, all. It helps make some decisions!