Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 75 strawberry plants in raised beds that we put out last Spring. I read that after the first frost they should be covered with straw. So, after the last couple of nights (with snow - we're in NE Ohio) I covered with straw. Should I try and insulate the sides of the beds as well (2x12's) or will the plants be OK? They flourished over the summer and I don't want to jeapordize our strawberry harvest next year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I live near Wooster Ohio and I have not mulched my strawberry plants the last two years. I just pull the weeds in the spring and make a pass once a week without any troubles. I asked the neighbor that is a reformed Amish and she said she never mulches and this year after the berries finished producing she mowed them all down with a lawn mower.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
You'll not be harming them by mulching with straw as long as you remove it after they start growing in the spring. Any winter mulch is primarily to allow the soil to thaw slowly and evenly to avoid frost heaving.

Martin

·
Registered
474 Posts
That winter mulch could also come in handy during the growing season to, along with other benefits of mulch, help keep the berries clean.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Tim, for future reference, if you're in the snow belt, you can probably get away without winter-mulching them. The consistent snow cover will take care of things. (We used to live in Geauga Co. ;) )

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phantomfyre - thanks. We're in Summit, so just south of snow belt. We get snow, but last couple of years it would snow/melt, snow/melt. I just don't want to loose my strawberries!

Thanks again everybody for input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts