Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...where the heck I put my cookie press???!!!! :confused:

I have a holiday party this evening. I am making brownies, but DH said we should bring TWO desserts. I've been telling the kids about this little metal gadget -- haven't used it in several years but I know I didn't get rid of it. It's a really fun thing though it takes some practice to get the cookies just right!

Looks just like this one, which unlike mine, isn't lost:

Now where is it?

I used to have an online friend who was psychic, I swear she was -- I could ask her where something was and she would tell me! She helped me find my kids' vaporizer shortly after we'd moved and everything was who-knows-where. She said it was in the upper part of the house on a shelf, somewhere dark, behind something soft and squishy. Darn if it wasn't in my kids' closet WAY back behind a big pile of blankets. LOL!

Coookie press...oh cooooookie press, where are you?

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
If I knew where the one my MIL gave me was, I'd let you use it. I know it is in a box, in our house. I bet yours is in a box, in your house too!

Do you have a punch bowl? I'm always tossing things into the punch bowl and then I can't find them afterwards.

Kayleigh

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hmm...did you check the laundry room? Everything ends up lost in our laundry room but it's also a hall and a pantry. So you better check those too. :)
Megan

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Oh that? You packed that away carefully and placed it in a safe spot so you would remember where it was when you wanted to use it. Problem is, the dies weren't in the box when you packed it away - you kept those separate to use as Christmas decorations the year that you couldn't find the silver stars. Of course no one thought that looked as pretty as you did, so you got in a snit and pulled them all, except one, off the tree and threw them into the stationary drawer because you were so mad. Then you calmed down and got them out of the drawer, except for one that slid under some papers so you didn't see it, and you put them in a ziplog bag that you put on the counter so you wouldn't forget to put them back into the original box. But you got busy and forgot about them until you were clearing off the counter to cook Christmas dinner. Of course you were too busy to dig out the box then, so you plunked them down in the laundry room (out of the way just until Christmas was over).
The box is still packed away exactly where remember placing it, one die is in the Christmas ornament box, 1 is still in the stationary drawer, the others slid behind the drier in the laundry room. You can thank me later, Merry Christmas!

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn it. I have looked high and low. I have a suspicion it might be up in the pole barn. It's COLD outside but I guess I will put on some layers and go look. (sigh)

Might be better off buying a new one at this point. Upon which of course I will immediately stumble upon the old one.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
edayna, while you are in the pole barn, will you look for my sewing scissors? I am pretty sure DH took them out there to cut baling twine. (!!!)

Here scissors, scissors! Where are yooooou?

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Seeing how you're in Ohio it wasn't yours that I bought at a yardsale a month ago for a buck! And if I may be a wise guy (like everyone tells me when I look for something)...it is exactly where you left it and will be found in the last place you look.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I just acquired something similar ... only difference is instead of a cylindrical metal container, it has a cloth pastry bag. Does anyone have a good recipes for cookies made with these presses? I'd like to give it a shot!

Hope you find yours, Edayna! :)

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I have two; one is a metal one that Mom brought back from Germany 40+ years ago, and the other is an electric one Mom gave me (Mom gives me all her excess kitchen gadgets, and she's the Kitchen Gadget Queen).

Willow Girl, try Googling "spritz cookie recipe". There are countless variations. Foodnetwork.com has several recipes. The neat thing about a basic spritz recipe is, you can switch out the vanilla extract for other flavors (almond is my favorite), you can make them with sour cream (yummy!), there are chocolate spritz cookie too. Mom used to make one basic dough, divide it out and add different flavors to each bowl. Once you get the hang of the press, its is so EASY to crank out large quantities of cookies, and they look so darned cute!

This spritz recipe on Recipezaar.com is very similar to the ones my mother baked when I was a kid.

ETA; I keep my presses in the cabinets about the refrigerator :)

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked in the cabinets above the fridge, but all I found was some old dishes I never use.

Not in the pole barn either, but I did find some old tablecloths I'd been missing.

I also discovered a couple of thermoses I'd forgotten about in the corner kitchen cabinet.

And I'd been wondering where I put those oh, so classy champagne flutes with Christmas trees painted on them. They were in the closet under the stairs.

I broke down and went to the gadget store. Came home with a pizzelle maker along with the cookie press. Gonna make chocolate-orange pizzelle for tonight's party! Yum.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup.

I was right.

You lose something? It will turn up as soon as you buy a replacement.

I FOUND IT.

It was in my KITCHEN DRAWER.

I have two gadget drawers - one for stuff I use all the time like the big spoons, spatulas, silverware, etc. - and another for bigger things that I only occasionally use like the whisks and the potato masher. Well, don't you know, that's where it was.

I was thinking this cookie press was too big to fit in a drawer.

Oh well -- I can always take the new one back to the store. At least I found the old one before I used the new one.

Off to make pizzelles... ;)

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Yup.

I was right.

I FOUND IT.

I have two gadget drawers - one for stuff I use all the time like the big spoons, spatulas, silverware, etc. - and another for bigger things that I only occasionally use like the whisks and the potato masher. Well, don't you know, that's where it was.

Oh well -- I can always take the new one back to the store. At least I found the old one before I used the new one.

Would you check that drawer for my extra pizza cutter! Been missing it for two weeks!

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Hehehe! Yours is exactly where mine is! Except that I have three gadget drawers, and I keep mine in the middle one with the other stuff I almost never use. I should go look and see what else might be in there.

But this summer I bought three veggie peelers. I got the first one, then could not find it so decided that I must have changed my mind and not got it after all. Bought another just like it (which was actually NOT the model I really wanted) and then found the first one in with the barrettes I'd bought - which I had put in the bathroom and forgot about.

Then Linen-n-things was going out of business, and I was able to by the peeler I really wanted that I was too cheap to buy in the first place.

I still have not found my missing picture though . . .

Cathy

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
See, it was in the last place you looked! :) Glad you found it.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Yup.

I was right.

I FOUND IT.

Is my heating pad in there per chance? I haven't gotten another one yet, because, like you said, as soon as I do. the first one will show up.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I wonder if these missing items go to the black hole where our socks disappear too?
Socks don't disappear, they just trade homes. We have socks that I have never seen before show up in the laundry pile, but I can't find matches for all the ones I do recognize. Maybe I should put up lost and found flyers in the neighborhood.

Kayleigh

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Glad you found it....now if you could just tell me where my 4 pairs of kitchen scissors are and my good knives, I'd be grateful. I know they are in a box....but I only have two left to unpack and its not looking good. Maybe a 'helper' took my clearly marked kitchen box to the basement, shed, or barn....~sigh~

Rose
Your scissors ran off with my scissors and have a happy family now. Mine disappear, one by one. My biggest loss is my trauma shears, they cut ANYTHING. I bring some home, they last for a week, and then disappear, i suspect they are all with the missing socks in the world.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Yes, they have all gathered together and started a commune. I've been missing a large fork, the kind that goes with those utensil sets used for holding the roast when you slice it, for two years now. The darn thing is too big to be hiding in any of the utensil drawers (6) or counter top containers (3) I have. (yes I have too many gadgets, but I use them all!) I think it got used in the garage, destroyed, thrown away, and then it was decided it would be the newest mystery because no one has admitted to it's whereabouts.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Thanks everyone for a wonderful laugh. Christmas time gets a little crazy and we all need a good laugh and to know we aren't alone but have lots of company in the land of single socks, lost cookie presses, scissors and all the other silly things we put away somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts