Will Sheep Eat Blackberries?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by debra in nm, Jul 14, 2004.

1. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

Hi all. I've got a few sheep who have the run of my property. I'm normally a goat-gal, but have added these little guys in the past year (3 shetlands & 2 jacob). Unlike goats, I thought they'd eat only grass. Nope. They eat anything that is green and growing. However, I've noticed they don't eat my lavender or any kind of mint (though they've tasted without much damage). How about blackberries? I was wanting to start some and don't have a good fenced area, but if they could live in peace with the sheep, I'd like to give it a go. What'dya think? Any input appreciated. debra in nm/aka:goatgirl

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yes indeed, they adore them!

3. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

People around us get them just to have them eat the blackberries as around us the biars take over everything. They also seem to have a preverance to poisin oak, believe it or not, another reason people bring them in. They will tend to eat most of the same things that goats will, except goats tend to be more willing to go higher after things.

4. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

OK, well I guess I'm convinced! Looks like I need to collect some more pallets. Thanks, you all. debra in nm