Will she go early?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Dec 29, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I have a BoerX due on the 11th and she has a real full udder. She hasn't been as active today - letting the others go before her to see if she really needs to go the distance. Then tonight she wanted out of her stall even though she had feed and hay....
    If she goes early will the kids make it - how early is to early? Ohh and think the ligements have streched they don't feel like the one who is due a month later.. if I'm feeling the right thing.. :shrug:

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

christy a couple of days early does not matter but it should not be more then ten days early. the last couple of days it is normal that they are a little bit slower. think about women in their last weeks.
    is your due date correct?

3. christij

It's the one Emily gave me so I trust it - I bought her bred. I think she might of wanted out to go for the pine I had left out for them b/c that's where she headed when she got out this morning. When my folks where here my dad (only raised cows not goats) kept saying he thought she would go between now and the second.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Christie, I put the buck in with Miracle and the rest of the does about 5 days *before* the day I saw her get bred.....so it is *possible* that she got bred earlier, but I kept a very close eye on them and saw nothing. So I doubt it. Up to 5 days early is no big deal, but she shouldn't go over a week early.
    January 11th puts her at 150 days bred. It is not at all uncommon for does to go as early as 145 days bred or as late as 155 days bred. But I always count to 150 days because thats more likely with Nubians I have owned. Lamanchas tend to go earlier than 150 days. Boers....haven't noticed a trend. So really, she could go anywhere between now and the 15th with no big worries. If she goes a few days early, just be sure the kids are having no breathing problems. The lungs are the only real thing to worry about in slightly early kids. The only early kids I've lost were a full two weeks early and I was not expecting them. I've had kids come at 143 days and they were fine. Its very usual for multples to come before the 150 day mark.

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Please have your camera ready so we don't have to wait for pictures! Some of us don't have babies due for a couple of months and are getting our kidding fix on this site.

6. christij

Thanks everyone -- and I promise I will take the camera! I think Emily would hunt me down if I didn't! =)

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

AMEN!!!!!

8. christij

This morning when we went to let them out of their stalls I noticed a little secreation.... but she is still eating! I told DH we should start a poll on when we think she would kid. Can you tell this is our first time? You should of seen us when we were expecting DD!