Will rubber boots protect against snake bite?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bgak47, May 2, 2005.

1. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I don't know if they would or not r.h., but you could line them with a layer or two of cardboard or something else like the sleeves from an old coat.Good hunting & keep your eyes on the ground as well as the trees!

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

In my Cabela's catalog they got Snake Chaps. they just slip on over your Jeans, and protects your legs.

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

I would not trust rubber on a big rattler.

4. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat470076

Looks like you need the "snake proof" gaiters!

"Snake-Proof Chaps and Gaiters
    The 1,000-denier Cordura® nylon outer shell will stop the fangs of an angry snake. Comfortable Chap design is height adjustable with snap-down belt tabs. Available in regular to husky sizes and in kids' and women's sizes. Snake-proof gaiters are a great choice when full chaps are too much."

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Cabelas is just too expensive!

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

not rubber or cardboard will stop even a cotton mouth get yourself a pair of snake boots about 65 dollors

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

What are snakeboots made from? Thick leather? Canvass & leather? Canvass,rubber, & leather? Kevlar? Kryptonite? I think that you could probably make your own pretty easily without Cabellas or Abeicrombie & Fitch being involved.

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Truth is I don't worry about Snakes that much,we have Rattlers and Copperheads.

If you wear Rubber Boots they are so hot.I only wear them if its raining.Rest of the time I wear my Leather Work Boots.The crazy thing is the only time I had a Snake hit me was at my Front Door,it was a Rattler,didn't give no warning,just hit my Boot was drawd back getting ready to hit again.

big rockpile

9. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

The longest fangs of the biggest snake would be less than 2''. Even a big eastern diamondback or a cottonmouth.

10. Thanks everyone for your replies. $54.95 is a little too pricey for me! Of course a snake bite would be even more pricey. The place I'm wanting to hunt is actually a game reserve and it is well known for giant rattlers and copperheads. I'm not too nervous around rattlers but those copperheads and cotton mouths is a different story. I know for a fact that they will stand there ground most of the time while a rattler will try to get away from you before he coils up to strike. Unless you step on one by surprize!

I'll think I'll look around and try to make something that will work. Thanks once again.

11. New update: forget about walking the creeks. I just got through reading about "Road Hunting" which sounds like a better deal to me. What you do is drive the back roads in the early daylight hours or late evening hours and watch out for squirrels crossing the road. When you see one, (don't shoot it) stop and let the dog give chase and tree. Then you harvest the critter. That sounds like a good deal to me cause here where I live there is a lot of Indian government land that I could drive on. One thing about the indian government lands is that they aren't worth a flip to deer hunt on cause everybody around hunts them whether they're indian or not. Thus there is a lot of overharvesting as far as the whitetails go. But they are loaded with lots of squirrels. So now I'm looking forward to "Road Hunting" and trainning my dog.

Road hunting is something I use to do with my high school buddies a long time ago. But only we didn't use a dog and we shot the squirrel from the vehicles. VERY ILLEGAL! But we didn't have a whole lot of sense then and probably didn't know the law at that time.

12. Wind in her hair, the shoe doesn't quit fit. If you hadn't mentioned "skinny"...............!

13. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

The draw back I am aware of with useing rubber boots or other non/snake designed foot ware, is that the snake can sometimes get a fang into the outer layer and slightly into your skin, get caught and pump more poison into you than normal. There was an artical in readers digest many years ago about a small boy that was bitten and the snake got stuck in the leather of the boots he was wearing. He almost died, but he got to the hospital intime, the doctors had to cut open the skin to let the swelling run it course and not tear open the skin or crush the blood vessels shut.

14. Mary in MO

Mary in MO Well-Known Member

:dance: :dance: :dance:
    That was great.

DH and self use bona-fide water-repellant, breathable, lace up snake boots. Paid a pretty penny for them, but they fit well, aren't hot and cover to our knees. Right tool for the right job. :worship:

Mary

15. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i agree 100% that was my point even a cheap pair is better then cardboard and rubber im all for that right tool thing

16. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I have seen snake guards at Walmart that wrapped around the leg below the knee. Don't remember how they actually worked. I think they were less than $20.

17. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

You might need to ask yourself....which is more expensive. Good pair of snake boots or a very expensive trip to the emergency room? ;)

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've had a cottonmouth bite through a rubber boot back when I was 12 or so. It went through the boot but didn't scratch or puncture. He did appear somewhat stuck though as I had to shake him pretty vigorously to dislodge him from my boot. Either that or it was my high pitched girly scream which caused him to flee out of sheer embarrassment of possibly wasting good venom on such a hysterical creature.

My sock was wet but it was difficult to tell if it was from perspiration or water from wading or possibly venom.

19. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has asked this: Legal squirrel hunting in the spring and summer? I've never heard of that before. Isn't that when they have offspring? Wouldn't you be likely to kill a female with a litter somewhere?

20. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at the hunting guide for this year yet but in Okla they change hunting season to match the population esimates from the last season. Some parts of the state have special hunts at certain locations, that the general public never hears about, because only a few can get in and the spots are resurved for people on the waiting list or it is done by lottery among registerd hunters. and the bag limits change too. so, it doesn't sound odd to me, we have to check every year for which part of the state and by which animal as well as time of year.