Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to take milk and turn it into a block of delicious cheese?
How to set a fence corner that will last?
That it's ok to save up the money and buy something with cash?
That the Lard from a hog can become soap?
That you can hatch out your own chicks?
That Guinea Hens can replace Pesticides?
That electricity is not free?
That Craftsmanship is to be respected?

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
chickenista said:
Ht children will...I don't know about everyone else. I guess it will be up to HT kids to feed the world. We had better do a good job.
And have lots of babies :)

RedTartan

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
only if they are taught. i hope i can teach him.

dean

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Most of yur list I have taught to younger persons all my life. If we just make sure that we teach one child something that will make us compleat.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
My parents were not country folk, so I have learned many of the things on your list myself. People will know if they seek out the knowledge. For me, I always knew that I was meant to live in the country, even from the time I was a small child, so I moved to the country and started "learning by doing" as soon as I could. Much of my knowledge has come from working alongside older and wiser friends.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I haven't taught mine to set a corner post. I had to learn that myself too. So, I taught them to read and set the example for them by doing all we can for ourselves by ourselves. I have confidence in my kids -that if they need to do it - they can figure out a way.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Yes, Callieslamb, I agree. If you teach a child to read and enjoy reading, the knowledge they seek will be there for them to find. I am also showing my youngest dd (only one left at home) by example that I (and she) can do whatever she sets her mind do doing, either alone or by asking for help from the right folks. I'm lucky to have come from a family that farmed and raised a garden, their own beef, etc, and I still had many things I still had to learn as an adult. Still do, and probably always will. I figure that's a good example to all my children, too. If Mom is still learning by reading and doing at my age, so can they at theirs.

G

·
Even farming is becoming a lost art. Today's "farmers" and "ranchers" are not self sufficient. They have learned mono-culture and factory farming. They buy their food from a grocery store.

It's very sad.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Up North said:
Welding is a skill every kid should learn. Even if they go on to higher education, and don't practice it for their primary occupation.

A farm kid that can weld can find employment in any state in the nation.
I kept telling my son as he was growing up that he needed to apprentice himself to a plumber. It's a good trade skill - and there isn't anything yet that can replace a good plumber, they will always be wanted.

Unfortunately, he didn't listen to me! :p

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Only those who learn such things as listed above (and a lot more) will be surviving 50 years from now.

Of course, by that time high death rates will return so the prodigious propagators can make all the babies they care to just to watch many of them die young.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hip_Shot_Hanna said:
I kept telling my son as he was growing up that he needed to apprentice himself to a plumber. It's a good trade skill - and there isn't anything yet that can replace a good plumber, they will always be wanted.

Unfortunately, he didn't listen to me! :p
Ya shoot, HSH, plumbers pull down wages comparable to registered nurses, engineers. Certainly a skill kids could at least be exposed to by repairing pipes or laying out pipe systems in a new cabin or house.

Frame Carpentry is also a highly employable skill. So if folks are building pole barns, horse sheds, chicken coops, corrals, by all means get the kids involved. My kid sister learned frame carpentry helping build sheds on the home farm. This allowed her to be employed for several years on a crew building cabins in the Beautiful mountains of Colorado.

Her best friend from high school had driven an old farmall M baling hay in the summer and plowed out the farm driveway with the snowbucket loader.
While other college students were working part time at fast food wages, she was able to parlay her tractor loader driving experience into a night job operating forklift in a warehouse at quite good wages.

Kids that are capable, kids that are CAN-DO kinda people. That's what I'm talkin' bout, LOL.

·
woolgathering
2,600 Posts
Up North said:
How to take milk and turn it into a block of delicious cheese?
How to set a fence corner that will last?
That it's ok to save up the money and buy something with cash?
That the Lard from a hog can become soap?
That you can hatch out your own chicks?
That Guinea Hens can replace Pesticides?
That electricity is not free?
That Craftsmanship is to be respected?

mine will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.