will NOT come up to milk?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by royB, Nov 9, 2006.

1. royB

royB Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

We are new to milking and have had "sprinkle" for about 2 weeks now. When we got her home we put her into a lot next to the barn (where we set up to milk) for a day or two, then into a pasture next to it where we had 5 beef cows waiting to calve. Well everything seemed to be well on the way to happy milking untill Monday (3 days ago) when she came into heat. She will not come to the barn now. We got her in this morning but she will not budge tonight. Should I force her in or what?

I'm not sure what changed, we handle her calmly, pet her, brush her, no fighting from her while milking, just all of a sudden she does not want to come up.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    Roy

2. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you feeding her anything extra at milking time? A scoop of sweet feed for her to munch on while you milk would probably do wonders. It usually doesn't take very long before they become willing participants in the procedure, if they know there are goodies involved.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Is it possible she was just coming into heat a few days ago and tonight she is in a full standing heat? Maybe she is not budging because she is expecting to get bred. This would be my first guess. She needs to get milked especially if she is recently fresh.

Heather

4. royB

royB Well-Known Member

Sorry, forgot to say that we are feeding her while milking. She was a commercial dairy girl and we are converting her to a family cow. She was getting a commercial sweet feed at teh dairy and we got some of it to feed her here for about a week. Actually we weaned her off it and on to alfalfa cubes and dryed molasses. She was fine with that for almost a week when this all started.

She was standing (and being ridden by one of the expectant mothers we have her with) 2 days ago with no activity in the last day so she should be coming out. By the way, our bull is on the other side of the hill about 1500 feet away in the other direction and down wind from where she is staying.

She is just over 2, and she freshened about 2 months ago.

May or not be important, we milk her at about 5:45 am and I was trying to milk her at 4:30 pm. I went back down at about 6:15 pm and she was willing to walk into the barn (I went and got some sweet feed). One other thing, we had been putting a halter and lead on her but tonight she walked in without it. She never had one on at the dairy, do you think she would be reacting to it after this long?

thanks, Roy

5. Up North

Well there's your answer. Young heifers can be independent, sassy, impertinent, mischevious, and filled with the delusion that they will do what they want when they want.
    Much like a four year old child really. It will be your job to mold the behavior and establish routine with this new member of the family.
    I'd stock up on more of the Grain she is used to. Bribery with treats will be so much easier ON YOU than using force.

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

there are days they wait for me which is normal... then there are the days they are too busy playing to come up an it takes both of us to wrangle them. the heat cycle will have TONS to do with it, it even affects the let down and production...

7. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

It has been my expirence that they do that. and it is exactly why you said 'they are too busy to be bothered'.... every once in a while our jersey will even toss her head and stomp around before she goes to the barn. Some days she will come running when I call and somedays I have to go clear across the field and make her...... and it is usaly ALWAYS when I need to get chores done quickly because I have something important to do!

8. Up North

Truer words never spoken, LOL........ :)

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

You really should consider breeding her on her next heat cycle. Third one is usually the charm. However I had one cow who, if left in with a bull, apparently would rebred on either first or second cycle. Some take 4-5, in which case they eventually fall out of my very narrow calving season. Once settled she should stop heat cycle nonsense.

I had two heifers separated from a bull via electic fence. Turned one in with him to breed and will sell her next spring as hopefully a bred two-year old. Will be a nice cow, just I had to cull one of the two. Other I don't want to bred until next spring when she will be two. When she comes into heat she stands just on her side of fence. Bull stands on other 'displaying his wares' for her.

10. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

I had some advice given to me when I first got my jersey
    ALWAYS have the feed already in the bucket/trough before the cow comes in

11. HazyDay

HazyDay Well-Known Member

I heard breed her next time. My anunt says no they only breed after 1 or 2 months that way they are all cleaned out. she also says a halter if not used to it is no good. try a chain around her neck. She finds cows will go in the barn faster but wil yell and yell if in heat. (just a note not all will) But thats all I can tell you. she should be a good milker
    what does a Jersy milk? 5 or 6 gallons? I know the ones my aunt has milks 20 - 30 gallons a day!

12. Donna from Mo

Donna from Mo Well-Known Member

I never had any Jerseys that gave less than four gallons a day at peak production, and I've had some that gave over six.

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Is it possible your aunt was meaning to say "20 - 30" litres a day?

I have a call for each of my girls, and they come up to their personal call. The little first calf heifer I'm now milking was trained to come to call long before she was ever bred; I think at this point it is an involutary response, but all cattle can learn a routine, they just need to have a routine to learn.