Will my strawberry plants come back?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MountainMama, Jan 30, 2005.

1. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

Last year was my first year planting ozark strawberries. The plants in the ground did terrible but the ones in my above ground garden did fair. Will they bloom again this season? I didn't know if I should dig up the ones in the above ground containers. The leaves are still there but I don't know if they will come back.

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

They should come back. I don't know where you are but around here we wait until the ground is good and frozen and then throw a heavy mulch covering of straw on them to protect them from the heaving of the thawing and refreezing. Then, when it is spring, we pull back the straw and use it for mulch around the plants.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Strawberries are plants which are able to go completely dormant to the point of appearing dried up and dead. Add water and warm temperatures and they resume growing. Ozark Beauties are quite hardy here in Wisconsin with little or no winter protection. Thus they should easily survive where you are.

Second and third years are always the best for Ozark Beauty strawberries. In the year of planting, it's even best to remove the early blossoms and runners to allow the plants to create a larger root system. In a confined area such as a strawberry pyramid or small bed, their peak will come in the third year. By the fifth year, they are often back to the production of the first year and should be replaced. I replace my Ozarks after the fourth season and start over with fresh plants.

Martin

4. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

Thanks so much. That is great to hear. Maybe they will surprise me and do better this year.

Can't wait to make my jam!

MountainMama