Will mulch attract slugs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sassy_mare, Jul 8, 2005.

1. sassy_mare

sassy_mare Well-Known Member

If I put down old straw as a mulch - will it attract slugs?

Thanks all!
    Sheri

2. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

But they eat the mulch, not the plants.

I mulch. Have never had a slug problem.

Mother Nature mulches the forests.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Exactly! :goodjob: Slugs are detritivores and decomposers. They prefer detritis, or decaying materials, as food. They'll help break down the mulch and release nutrients into your soil.

I've got my entire garden mulched heavily in old straw and hay, and found exactly one slug on a living plant.

I consider slugs beneficial, as long as they're doing their job. If I removed all the mulch, then they'd go for what's left...my plants. Then I'd probably consider them pests! :(

Meg

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, then you people do not live in true slug country, is all I can think. Banana slugs eat dead plant material and are part of the decomposing process. But other slugs, which come in a range of sizes and colours, from tiny 1/4" babies to 6", black to brown to orange to beige etc...most definitely eat living, growing plants...notably in cultivated gardens. They just think of them as delicatessens. Baby slugs zip off new seedlings. They hide inside lettuce and greens. Bigger slugs can wipe huge holes in your produce.

In the Pacific NW, we have slug rodeos.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

LOL...I guess we should take locale and species into consideration. I'm in the Southeast!

Meg