Will mothers wean their kids on their own?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Dec 27, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

If so, at what age. We have 2 kids that are almost 2 weeks old. Sometimes when they run up and try to nurse, their mother walks away and doesn't let them. At other times I have seen her just stand there and let them nurse. She is a very good mom, so I was just wondering if she was "limiting" their nursing time and maybe working up to when they would be weaned. They are already nibblling at and eating hay and grain.

2. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Most Does will nurse their kids till several months of age. It sounds like your Doe is taking care of her kids so I wouldn't worry about it. However two weeks of age is much too young for them to be weaned so if you notice any signs of them getting thinner or weak put them on a bottle. They will be nibbling at grain and hay but they aren't quite ready for solids at this time. They need their milk.

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Some does will let those kids nurse any time. My Molly will call the kids when she is ready for them to nurse and, like yours, will just walk away if she doesn't think it's time. Just watch to be sure they are allowed to nurse from time to time and are thriving. Kids can be weaned by three months, but most dams will not wean them until four or five months or so.
    mary

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

:shrug:
    I have a wether that will be a year old in February and his mom JUST now weaned him - good grief! All that time I was milking her, and when I finally quit milking, she weaned the brat. LOL
    I would have REALLY appreciated her doing it sooner so I didnt have to constantly keep him locked up away from her! We like to let the whole herd stay together, including the buck, so this was a hassle. Our buck is not too stinky yet, so this may not work next year.
    Out of all our does I'd say that most of them didnt wean the kids we kept until after 8 months!!!!!! :nerd:
    Rachel