Will It Still Work

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Mar 8, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm wanting to spray my Asparagus with Roundup before it starts sprouting,to kill the grass.It says for best results for the temprature to be over 60.Its only suppose to get about 50.

Should it still work ok?

big rockpile

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It will probably work if the sun comes up and stays dry. How warm is your ground temp?
    My asparagus beds get infiltrated with quackgrass and I've tried some roundup, but usually some asparagus already start coming up so be careful that you don't touch any asparaus growth with glyphospate (such as roundup or other brands). After that give it a heavy mulch.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

tent clear plastic over the row to expand the heat potential or some old windows if you have that.cover at nite to keep temp up . works for small areas

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I think you're taking a chance using that nasty chemical even tho the asparagus isn't up. Better to mulch or use that corn-based herbicide on the market.

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Bruce, The corn based stuff isn't an herbicide is it? I thought it was a pre-emergent.

Sylvar