Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to canning, and decided to try a fairly straightforward recipe for brandied cherries (processed in a water bath) as one of my first attempts. I followed the recipe, but after allowing them the time needed to cool after the processing, I noticed that there seems to be (embarrassingly enough) one of my hairs caught at the top of one of the jars. I guess it got loose from my ponytail while preparing the jars and I did not notice when I was placing the lids. The jar itself seems sealed quite well, but the presence of that hair has me worried about the food safety.
I tried a few different searches online to see if anyone before me has posted about this situation, but so far came up empty. Does anyone here know if this jar has been ruined by the hair and I should cut my losses now and dispose of the contents before they become dangerous? I understand that a lot of people would probably discard the jar for the hair regardless, but since I know 100% that it's mine, I was hoping to be able to just pull it out and still enjoy the food later.
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Consider it a learning situation. When you open the jar, discard the hair before anyone sees and enjoy the cherries. Remember, you processed that hair....:LOL:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. Consider it a learning situation. When you open the jar, discard the hair before anyone sees and enjoy the cherries. Remember, you processed that hair....:LOL:
Thank you! I appreciate your help and wit! 😄 Next time, I will definitely make sure to keep my hair up tighter and make sure to lint roll too, just in case!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.