Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who wants driverless cars? It seems to me this is something government and tech companies are forcing on us.

Is a driverless car really a car? If I walk out the door in the morning and get in the vehicle and say "work", am I in a car?

One of my favorite things to do is put the top down on my convertible and head out for a long drive in the country or to the beach. I imagine I will still be able to drive my own car for the rest of my life, but what about people under 30? At what point will driving become illegal?

For driverless cars to be a success, there can't be any driver controlled cars on the road that might cause an accident. To make the cheap, light vehicles they want to make, they have to eliminate accidents, so big driver controlled cars have to go.

I wonder how long the migration from all driver controlled cars to all driverless cars will take. How will driverless and driver controlled cars get along? Can you drive a driverless car?

So who wants a driverless car and why?

Dominique Bonte, vice-president at ABI Research, says: “Why do we need these super-reinforced boxes of metal that can resist all types of crashes . . . if the chance of a crash is zero?”
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/08929ada-4eca-11e4-a1ef-00144feab7de.html

ETA: Now if they would come up with a driverless riding lawnmower that would mow my 3 acres, I would be interested.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Sort of reminds me of the show The Jetsons. A vehicle is just used for transporting a person from A to B one doesn't have to be in control.
Heck pilots are in the airplane to just make it look good.. 90% of the flying is not done at all by pilots but a computer and has been that way for many years now. Nobody even gives that a thought. LOL

·
Banned
292 Posts
Sure and it'll be a great tool for compelling obedience. Don't play along? We'll just shut your car down. Think you're taking your valuables and leaving? We'll just shut you're car down. Talking a little too much about limited government? Maybe we'll just have your car take you directly to our 're-education facility'.

Of course it'll all be for our own protection, we can't let the terrorists win now can we?

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see some benefits. It would be great for the disabled and elderly. That's assuming it can find a parking space!

It also would be nice for long trips, especially if it can gas up on it's own. You could go from coast to coast in 2 days. And since you aren't driving, maybe they could add a kitchen and bathroom.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
My eyesight has faded to the point that I'm no longer supposed to drive at night, and it's only a matter of time before I can't even do that. The closer that day gets the better I like the idea of a driverless car.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
For driverless cars to be a success, there can't be any driver controlled cars on the road that might cause an accident. To make the cheap, light vehicles they want to make, they have to eliminate accidents, so big driver controlled cars have to go.

So who wants a driverless car and why?
I disagree.

for driver-less vehicles to be successful, they will need the intelligence to detect obstacles even deer, piloted vehicles, etc. and hopefully react accordingly.

I don't see why a driver controlled vehicle would see and react to a driverless vehicle any different.

this is not a conspiracy to control man, IMO, this is available technology used to make life better ans avessave somebody money.

What auto insurance company wouldn't want a driver less vehicle, LOL? Practically every driver "controlled" vehicle that passes my big truck, is texting any more. :rolleyes:

·
Voice of Reason
52,235 Posts
This is the kind of issue that makes conservatives crazy. The idea is that, "if cars drive themselves then this country won't be the America I know." But if driverless cars are in our future then we should embrace it. Change is not always a bad thing.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
This is the kind of issue that makes conservatives crazy. The idea is that, "if cars drive themselves then this country won't be the America I know." But if driverless cars are in our future then we should embrace it. Change is not always a bad thing.
I'm a truck driver and I can see driver less trucks in the future, also. It a matter of economics.

The fact that there is a driver shortage now, because unemployed are too lazy to take the work, will only speed up this transition.

It's going to happen, eventually.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Millions of men (and some women) collect classic cars. It doesn't mean they want to go back to the 1940's or 50's, but that they appreciate the beauty and engineering that went into these cars.

I have owned convertibles for over 40 years and I would hate for the government to deprive me of the pleasure I get from driving one. Has nothing to do with change, but everything to do with freedom.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
I can't get much more conservative than I am now, and I like the idea. I don't think it's something that would be divided along political lines.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Millions of men (and some women) collect classic cars. It doesn't mean they want to go back to the 1940's or 50's, but that they appreciate the beauty and engineering that went into these cars.

I have owned convertibles for over 40 years and I would hate for the government to deprive me of the pleasure I get from driving one. Has nothing to do with change, but everything to do with freedom.
Why would "the Government" have to outlaw driver controlled vehicles?

Our skies are still filled with jetliners that fly themselves and small aircraft that still use visual flight rules (VFR)

Just curious.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why would "the Government" have to outlaw driver controlled vehicles?

Our skies are still filled with jetliners that fly themselves and small aircraft that still use visual flight rules (VFR)

Just curious.
Did you read the article I linked in OP? That's where it said that big cars will have to be outlawed so we can move to light weight driverless cars. I take that to mean at some point, automobiles as we know them today will be outlawed, at least on federal highways.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts