Will I need lightning protection?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Jul 1, 2006.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I was at the building site of my house today and the plans say the peak of the roof will be 30' high. I figure by looking at the surrounding trees that it may be a bit higher than the trees and the area is on a bit of a higher plateau, there are trees roughly the same height about 100 yards away though (across the river). Should I have some kind of lighting protection for the house? What's available now, do they still use lightning rods? It's going to be an off-grid home so the solar is going to be protected as stated in the contract. Any advice would be great. Thanks again, Chris

2. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

I would myself in a case like that. Even if you just put a couple of them along the highest peck would be better then nothing. Should not cost all that much for just a few along the very top peak.
    I would do it myself. All you need are a few of the spikes that they use a some heavy copper cable. The professional jobs I have seen use a breaded copper cable that has no covering on it. Oh yea and make sure to drive a grounding rod down to a level where it can get a good ground.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........You can fabricate your own system . All you need is some short 1/2 or 5/8 inch spikes about 6 to 8 inches long with a VERY sharp POint which can be achieved with a regular 8 inch grinder . These can be built out of an 8 foot ground rod ! Then fabricate some insulated feet to hold them on the roof peak and connect them with #6 solid copper wire and drip each down to a ground Rod driven as deep as possible . The rationale for the system is NOT to divert a Direct Strike , rather what the sharp pointed spikes DO is TOO Dissipate any Static electric charge that might try to establish itself in close proximity to your home .
    ...........Also , IF you have large trees with trunks that will be very close to the roof line You definitely want to ground them as IF they take a direct hit it IS possible for the energy to travel down the trunk and JUMP from the tree TOO your home . I know this because my parents had an 80 foot Douglas Fur in Ruidoso , NM less than 12 inches from their eve of their home and the tree got hit and the energy jumped from the tree over too their roof and caused 40k in damage . fordy... :)

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Some friends of mine who did solar for years, never would put in lightning protection and I don't know 'how' many inverters they fried. Anyhow, here is some reading material that may help.

http://www.windsun.com/Lightning_Protection.htm