Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Artemisia vulgaris (mugwort or common wormwood)

Will goats eat it.... if so is is any problem if they do?

I recieved a link to a goat site... the owners use a combination of this and other herbs to treat for worms... supposedly with a great success. My question: Since it will grow in the midwest (USA) would the goats eat it if one would plant some in the pastures? I have been told that goats will eat the plants they need if they are available.

Thoughts anyone?

And Btw

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone :)

I'm off for a few days to meet my new baby grandaughter!

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
interesting idea, but not sure i would want to try it, Wormwood is a pretty potent herb that is used in herb mixes to enduce sleeping amung other things, it is also an ingredent in Absenth,

you might end up with some weird comboination of Acid trippin goats or sleepy goats with the munchies lol, (just kidding but still)

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
If im not mistaken, wormwood will make a doe abort, I cant remember but there is a warning about using it in pregnant does on fiascofarms website, check it out.
I dont feel goats have good self control over eating something they like, and thats one thing that they can really have too much of, if they had better sence we wouldnt have the over eating vaccine

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We have natural growing wormwood in our pasture. My does can graze it whenever they want, and sometimes a single doe will eat enough to scent her milk.

BUT these does still come up with positive fecals and need to be wormed with chemical wormers. goats would "naturally" be protected from most internal parasites by their preference for high browse over grass/herbage.

Most animals can select foods that meet dietary needs. This has been proven over and over again with species from mice to sheep to humans. The only studies I've seen that show selection to meet medical needs are in elephants and chimps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts