Will Driverless Cars Make Traffic Worse?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AmericanStand, Feb 10, 2018.

1. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

2. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Well pizza delivery is a pretty specialized area but who tips the FedEx man?

And I can see a pizza place advertising that their pizzas are delivered quickly by driverless vehicle so there is no need to tip as a selling point

3. Shine

Shine Well-Known Member

Wonder if the Driverless cars will observe and acknowledge turn signals and then act like drivers are supposed to?

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Driverless cars should be predictable which will enable aggressive drivers to take advantage of that.

Driving ability and operation can be thought of as a scale. On the bottom are drivers that are inattentive or single focused. The older driver as zombie straing straight ahead comes to mind. Next up is the majority of drivers who somewhat pat attention and may or may not act courteously to enable traffic flow.

Next are drivers that are courteous to other drivers by maintaining a high level of situational awareness. Typically those drivers move out of a lane well ahead of a conflict point to allow a driver in an adjacent lane to move into their lane or slow down to allow the same. In some cases speeding up when passing a semi catching up to a slower vehicle is seen.

Another group may actively use aggressive tactics to intimidate other drivers.

The groupings are not absolute for any driver since the driver's performance may change.

The use of aggressive tactics towards driverless cars is the unknown for traffic flow in the future.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

So what happens in areas where there is no cell reception? What about construction zones? What about roads where there are no lane lines or where GPS doesn't work?

As for the pizza delivery, I see that as a major fail. The first person on a multi-delivery run could take all the pizzas and not pay. How would the driverless vehicle handle that?

6. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

They might have sections with a code like a mail box. You have to have a code to get your pizza. If they can get a machine to your house delivering a pizza, they can easily make sure that you can't steal other people's pizza's.

7. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

COnstruction zones will need to have something that broadcasts it's specifics to all the cars using that section of the road. Not too hard to figure out, but in my mind at least, easy to mess up or tamper with.
    I still want to know how they'll handle snowfall, freezing rain, etc there are a lot of decisions made by drivers in those conditions, based on feel of the wheel and feel of the traction.

8. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

9. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

10. Danaus29

ODOT can't get construction zone signage placed properly. I just can't see them getting computer broadcasts set up properly. The websites that are supposed to give you information about road construction sites and closures are usually a joke. Spent half an hour trying to find information about one where my husband has to drive through just last week. Many times the construction areas aren't even listed. Then the excuse is "we were not notified by the entity doing that roadwork".

The lane departure alert systems require highly visible lane markings in order to function. The little white and yellow dots ODOT and the counties use while repaving roads are often not enough for anyone to figure out. The road paint budget would have to triple or more to keep those lines functional.

11. AmericanStand

Huh ? How will they handle dirt roads ? Heck it freaked my GF out to find out lots of corners don’t even have stop signs.

A question about how they will handle construction zones.
    Will the onboard diagnostic hardware recognize the actions of construction workers and realize when they’re about to stick the handle of a rake or shovel into the path of the vehicles?
    Will they be able to tell from the actions of the adjacent construction workers when one is about to lose his balance and fall in to the roadway?

12. Danaus29

Good questions. I was mainly concerned about the safety in the orange barrel zones (those barrels always seem to end up in the travel lanes) and unmarked lanes. The lane departure assistant in newer vehicles is dependent on those lanes being marked with good, clean paint. Many times even the white strip which you are supposed to stop behind isn't visible or is very faint. If there is no paint or the paint is worn and faded the system doesn't work. Then what about where the paint is right at the edge of the concrete barriers? How close to the line does the vehicle get before the computer directs it back to the proper lane?

Your question about construction workers raises another question. The utility companies around here have been replacing poles and trimming trees. By Ohio law they are supposed to have a police officer directing traffic but they rarely do. So you get an unmanned vehicle going 55 down the road and it comes upon an unannounced lane closure where the flagger is standing in the middle of the lane. Sure the unmanned vehicle will have an automatic braking system but how far out does the sensor see? I sure wouldn't want to be the flagger in front of that vehicle.

As for the construction workers who fall or stick something into the traffic lanes, I've seen a few times where that has happened. All parties involved were fortunate that there were no collisions but that isn't always the case. A person behind the wheel can slow down and watch the close workers while being prepared to brake. Could but probably won't. At least an unmanned vehicle won't be traveling at 70 mph in a posted 55 mph construction zone.

Gotta love those tiny dirt roads that don't look wide enough for one vehicle, let alone the 2 they supposedly handle. I learned to drive on those tiny dirt roads. That was back in the day when they used oil to keep the dirt down and weeds killed off at the edge of the road. GPS still isn't reliable out in that area.

This site is about the Toyota lane departure alert system:
    http://www.toyota-global.com/innova...ty_technology/technology_file/active/lda.html

13. AmericanStand

Lol that oil is still the big upgrade around here.

14. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

Hmmmmmmmm.............I thought of another one for the software geeks that have to program these cars.
    Merging into one lane for construction zones or heavy congestion.
    Y'all know what I'm talking about. :(
    Those times when no one is patient or polite and fighting for the last inch. :mad:
    Even at low speeds, leaving too much space around the car could leave that driverless vehicle sitting a long time before someone "let" them in..........:oops: