Will cut roses sprout?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 16, 2005.

1. I would like to get my 50 dollars worth if I can. My wife's valentine roses look so sad today! Me too when I think of where else we could have used that money! :( Well anyway back down in the late 80's I use to work at a local hospital and there was this old lady that was a housekeeper who use to dig discarded roses out of the trash cans and take them home. She would some how get them to sprout and then plant them in a pot, then sell or give them away.

Does anyone know how to do this? Do I need to buy some kind of a fertilizer or just keep them in water? Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sometimes you can get them to root. Make sure the bottoms of the stems are not rotting first. Clip off the dead bloom. Stick the stems in sharp damp sand. Water with willow tea. Keep in bright indirect light in a cool, not cold, area. Cover with a fruit jar. Do not pull them up to see if they are rooting! If the stem gets all hard and dry or rots then it isn't going to work. If you get new growth then it is working.

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Those roses shouldn't be looking sad already!! If they're drooping, it could be because there's an air bubble in the stem blocking the uptake of water. They can usually be revived: take each flower out of the arrangement and cut a bit off of the end of the stem *while holding the end underwater*. The drop that clings to the end when you take it out will prevent more air from getting in and the flower should perk up again when you put it back in the vase.

If you don't have flower food, you can use regular (not diet!) lemon-lime soda half and half with water. The sugar feeds the flowers and the acid help keeps bacteria from clogging up their stems and blocking water.