Will anything grow under pine trees?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pointer_hunter, Jun 6, 2004.

1. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I moved my garden to a bigger spot this year. The one problem I am seeing is that my watermelon plants are closer to a large pine then the rest of the garden. Everything seems to be coming along nicely except the watermelons. I also have a few other pine trees where no grass or anything is growing. Are there any kinds of plants, flowers, shrubs, grass, anything at all that will grow under pine trees?

2. mossy

mossy Guest

the only thing that I have had any luck with planting under pines were a few types of wildflowers and I cannot tell you today which they were, but I remember that there were even some wildflowers that didn't wanna grow there.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think some azeleas will grow under pines. You could try looking up their growth requirements.

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Azaleas seem to do well.. lots of 'em here in NE Texas.

Under My Pine trees, we play kick the cones.. let em pile up for mulch along w/needles.

6. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

You might try hosta, they love pine needles and the shade. Azaleas and rhododendron as someone else mentioned. Maybe even a hydrangea bush. Dogwoods too. Some good flowers you might get to grow in shade is astilibe, coral bells, lily of the valley, and daffodils. Just look up shady plants that love acidy soil. Pine needle are acidy.

And sow some lettuce there, it will like the shade if your temperatures aren't to high. :)

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Any shade loveing plant that is in a raised bed or container.

8. poppy

poppy Guest

A friend of mine has a long row of pine trees on his property line. Nothing grew under them. Someone told him mushrooms like them, so about 10 years ago, he found some black morels in the spring. He poured the water he soaked them in under the pines, now they come up by the dozens every year. Might be worth a try if you like mushrooms.

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Blueberries! Near, not directly under the pine trees.

10. I had a flower garden under/near huge white pine trees for years and all did very well. The garden was at the edge of 2 rows of trees (10" in diameter and about 10' apart) I had it planted on the west side of trees and about 3' out. We pruned the trees up about 6-8' and had full to dappled shade until about 10-11 AM each day, then sun until about 6-7PM. We were in the south end of zone 3 and all the flowers did extremely well. The ones planted closest to the pines were rhodedendrons, azaleas, purple cone flower, old fashioned white asters, perenniel phlox, columbine, hydrangea and some old fashioned roses.

11. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I have some hostas that seem to be doing well under a norway pine. And I also have tons of spearmint growing and thriving (and taking over) under the same pine. Got some daisies too. They're all that's left of some wildflower seeds I scattered a few years back.