Will Antifreeze kill Cyotes or foxes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by renee7, Jul 28, 2004.

1. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

I've been loseing my Chickens, 2 or 3 at a time. until now I only have 4 hens 2 banty's and one rooster. I don't think they can get the Guenias. I have 7. None missing.

Twice I saw the varmit. I ran out with my rifle. But by the time I get there Of course it is gone. once was about 5:30 in the morning. The other was at 10 am.

So I just now, went out and found where they come thru, and put a pan of antifreeze. No other animals can get to it, Can they climb over the fence?

I didn't have any trouble at all last year. But this year there is corn about 10 ft tall on 2 sides of my Chicken yard. And the coyotes, have no trouble hiding.

I'm more worried naw about my 5 lambs. Tonight I'm going to put the lambs, 2 goats and chickens, in the Chicken house and fasten them up.

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

It will killthem if they lick enough of it, then it will kill anything that eats on the carcass, fur or feather....

better to set out there with riflein hand ready to shoot from a good perch, high power light for night shooting might help some to, although if youve been seeing it in the am, then it is a creature of habit and will return then as well.

the other thing i would do would be to set a snare instead of poison,that way if you catch anything else t would most likely be a stray dog.

William

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yes it will, it will also kill just about every other animal , that drinks it.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Dear goodness please dont set antifreeze out to kill a predator. It is a cruel way to purposefully kill an animal. It takes days to accomplish death and it has no disrimination in terms of what it kills. It will kill anything. I've had to kill several opossums that have identified my yard as a smorgasbord. I've listened at night with my rifle at the ready and I've targeted the predators responsible for killing my poultry. It was humane and quick, easy, cheap, and efficicient.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Antifreeze causes liver failure, and the animal will die over a period of several days. If your heart is set on poison, why not choose a quicker kind?

And, I wouldn't be so sure that only the coyote can get to it. Your neighbors cat, for instance. A blue jay. One of your chickens, perhaps, or a squirrel. A skunk.

6. its really simple. just take a dead chicken, and stuff Coyote Poison up its Spinkter. and put a few in the area where you see fresh tracks..they will then eat the poison.in the chicken... End of problem.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Around here, people just go out and shoot off their guns or rifles whenever coyotes come around. They don't even have to shoot the coyotes --- the noise is enough to **** them off.

That's what I'd do if I were you. If you don't have a gun, get some fireworks and start setting them off randomly. The coyotes will move on to easier marks.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I went camping last night with five little boys. We had all kinds of fireworks and made a ton of noise. Within an hour of settling down, the coyotes came through, probably not 100 yards away. We had a latern on and a fire going and were still up talking.

Scared those kids to death! we ended up going home at 1am since they all couldn't fit in the car!

I was very surprised that they came through there at all after all the racket we made.

Jena

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Beef up your chicken protection for now and let the varmint be until late fall and its pelt is prime, then trap it, sell it, and use the money for more chickens.

Forget poisons of any kind. Please?

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Coyote(s) are like the Italian\French Army.......they are gonna ......."Havva suppa first , then a little Vino , then maybe squeeze in a little bang bang , then itsa time to head for da Casa.....fordy..... :eek: :)

11. Antifreeze causes kidney failure--and a long, slow, agonizing death. I have often considered it for coyotes around us--but too risky for other animals, and I just couldn't. Even to a coyote! Initially, antifreeze is metabolized into alcohol (affected animals appear drunk) and Calcium Oxalate crystals. The crystals actually plug up the kidneys and cause renal failure. Other animals that would feed on the carcass of an animal killed by antifreeze would be fine because the antifreeze would already be metabolized. Fascinating, really. I think there are better ways to kill varmint, though, but it sets one thinking sometimes...

Vet who lurks

12. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

everything people here have told you is correct. put your chickens up at night . under lock and key, if you must. and wait until nov. or dec. I would probably wait until jan. trap him, and make moeny on his pelt. But never put out poison, deer or other animals, will probably get into it. and in the oder of the natural food chain, every animal that at off that animal would die. that is a sad thing to do. please don't do it.Oh it would kill that animal, but also many others. We have them here in michigan also. we have them on our homestead. We hear them at night. We also have fox, and you name it, we have it. But I would never set out poison. IT is just to risky. and what if a child got into it? anti freeze smells sweet, a child could pick it up and drinlk it. kids do crazy things. even if you tell them no.

13. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Antifreeze containing Eythlene Glycol is very poisonous to animals and humans, it has a sweet taste and they will lap it up, produces a very agonizing death by destroying the Kidneys, very cruel in my opinion even for Coyotes.
    Check the label of antifreeze, some contains Propylene Glycol which is considered safe (?) and is use in cosmetics and food products to retain moisture. The cheap antifreeze usually contains the poisonous stuff.

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy but most times I'll just let her sleep.

14. I don't understand why any sane person would even THINK of asking others if it's O.K. to put antifreeze out for wild animals. If you have a brain at all you'd automatically know to NOT DO such a STUPID uncivilized act.

15. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

Yes it will do the job and it is not a slow death, its pretty quick. Please people they are killing his chickens get over it. Its almost like blaming a victim of a crime because they should not have had nice things in there house to lure the criminal to them. Liberals I just do not get how they think!

16. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Stone, watch your labels. Liberal used to be such a good word till El Rushbo put his fat mouth around it. :no: These are modern times, no need for something archaic as poison. We have gas powered projectiles that are quick and efficient. Please use them responsibly.
    We owe it to the critters.

Renee, if you do skin that yote, take a look at those hams and tell me that you can tell the difference from a deer or hog. They usually look pretty good. One of these days I'm gonna give it a try ( cooked well done ) :yeeha:

happy varmint huntin

mc

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Laying poison around that ANY animal can get into is pretty foolish.Lock up your birds and get THE animal responsible,thats what a thinking person would do,not indiscriminately kill anything that can drink.
    BooBoo

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

No offense here but...

Are you nuts? Antifreeze?
    jesus christ on a crutch....

take a good size rifle, set out some dead chickens around the coup in your line of fire and WAIT.

antifreeze... ack!

BTW boiled cyotee it pretty tasty.

You will have to sit and wait... take turns. set up a good distance away so your movements dont spook them.
    it could be coons or fox or even MINK. Ive seen rats kill and drag off small chickens also.

antifreeze will kill whatever eats that dead animal and so on... NO antifreeze.
    jeeze.

put up a corral around the coup and get a donkey they hate dogs.

19. If a coyote can get to it, so can a dog or cat.

Stonerebel I sure hope you don't live close to me. Anti-freeze DOES cause a slow painful death. If you ever watch animal emergency on TV there are lots of people who bring in their pet that has gotten into anti-freeze. Not a pretty sight.

20. Try Fly bait (the little crystals) mixed with Mountain Dew. Cheaper than anti-freeze and they'll be dead within 10' of the dish.

Works great on Racoons and other night time varmits that keep slipping by and/or only visit when your snoozing. Put it out when all the animals are in bed, pick it up in the morning.

About 2 tablespoons of fly bait crystals with 2 cups of Mountain Dew dropped a big racoon 3 feet from the dish. Wish I would have known sooner, I've been sleeping with windows open, gun at my side for over a month trying to nail that bugger!