Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kind you plug into the receptacle under the dash..shows error codes?

Will they tell you if there is a vacuum leak causing a rough idle? tia...

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,509 Posts
I have one of those boxes that connects to my phone. It does show error codes. I don't know if there is an error code for a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Obd2 codes can lead you to diagnosis. But you still need to interpret and follow the trail. Vacuum leaks can be one and many at the same time.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
OBD readers tell you if computer systems and sensors have issues. Rarely do they tell you if you have a mechanical problem. The OBD reads a computer program, no matter if it's the auto parts store or your own personal OBD reader, they both work the same way.

We had an issue with a spark plug misfiring. What the OBD could not tell us was that the head gasket was leaking oil into the spark plug hole.

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
I have an OBDII reader that bluetooths to my phone , it will tell you a bunch of things including a vacume pressure meter. you can pinch off vacum lines and if your vaccume pressure jumps you may be able to narrow down where

a LP torch not lit can also help , you are feeding out fuel you place that where you suspect a leak may be and the engine picks up rpm

here is how you use it and build a leak detector

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Playing with (potential) fire, fast-moving parts, high chance of death ... sign me up for that last diagnosis method! Much more fun than my OBD2 reader ...

However, if you are thinking twice about the high chance of death, this article describes various methods to chase down vacuum links (including the propane method):

·
Registered
631 Posts
If, and that’s a big if. Vacuum leaks today use a smoke machine due to the number of vacuum lines. The old fashion way is inspect them, use a carb spray or propane method. But if they are leaking then I suggest mass replacement. Vacuum hose is cheap and only a few sizes needed. Be aware of cracked fittings while doing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts