Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought three rabbits shortly before Christmas - 2 does and 1 buck. Young but full grown. One doe and buck had been together (and for a while before) when we bought them. I'd have assumed that she was bred. They (all three) were together for a week after Christmas. I kind of expected a litter this week. So, today, assuming that a doe won't stand for a buck if she's pregnant, I put each doe (in turn) with the buck. The buck bred both of them immediately. One held for him. The other hopped a bit, but she eventually held still. Can I assume that neither of these rabbits were pregnant before today?

Though they were breeding age before this, the woman was giving them a diet of just cracked corn. That coupled with the fact that they were outdoors and mostly unsheltered in Iowa, I'm assuming this would be reason enough as to why they were unable to acheive pregnancy before this?

Thanks!
Kelly

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Many pregnant does will accept a buck a second time during a test breeding. Many non-pregnant does will fight a buck during a test breeding. So I don't use test breeding for determining pregnancy. It is not reliable enough. And it is one more day to keep track of.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
Registered
292 Posts
We just got our rabbits in september so dont have alot of experience.
I bred our first does and then tried a check mating 2 weeks later. 2 of of the does let him breed them but they had their kits on the first breeding date. Now the one due tonight I cant even put a buck in the cage next to her. She cries. Pitiful to hear. So I am expecting buns tonight. LOL

Linda

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
My senior Cal doe who is hard to get bred will let our buck breed her, so I don't bother using that method of checking pregnancy.

·
Premium Member
27,965 Posts
I had a doe that let the buck breed her the day before she kindled. I've got one now that wouldn't let the buck anywhere near her on several breeding attempts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts