Will a dremel tool work for rock carving?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by willow_girl, Sep 2, 2007.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I would like to incise some lettering into a rock. Can a dremel tool be used for this? Which bit would I buy?

Thanks for any advice! :)

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

The tool will do the job but offhand I don't remember which bit you would need. Maybe the Dremel site might have that info as part of their sales pitch.
    PQ

3. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

This should help:

http://www.dremel.com/en-US/fastfinder-search-results.htm?tool=don't%20know&toolName=don't%20know&application=69306&applicationName=carving&material=69352&materialName=stone

I guess you'll have to copy & paste... It's long with no spaces so it 'breaks' itself or something :shrug:

Michelle

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Not a bit, but a circular wheel, it will take a bunch of them, avoid letters that require curves unless you willing to spring for diamond bits.

5. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

If your rock was soapstone, you probably could with just the HSS burrs that come with the dremel. Otherwise, probably not.

6. Hillbillybob

Hillbillybob Well-Known Member

I was going to say yes but only with diamond bits. I drill holes in rocks all the time and have been starting to practice doing writing on rocks. Fun thing to work with rocks.
    Hillbillybob

7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Use diamond dressed bits but remember to keep the rock cool by drilling under water or by periodically dipping the stone in water or if it's a big rock drip water on the rock. Anything up to Mohs hardness of 9 can be carved using the diamond dressed bits. You can usually buy a pack of different size and style bits cheaper than getting them individually.

What type of stone are you carving?

Forgot to add that the stone dust can destroy a Dremel if it gets into the brushes on the motor. Keeping the stone wet also keeps the rock dust from being sucked into the motor housing. If you drill under water, just use enough to keep your work surface submerged, you don't want the water to be higher than the working part of the bit.

8. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

Hey.

If you want to do letters in rock with a dremel, use soft stone such as limestone.

RF

9. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

You could always use a hammer and chisel. ;)

10. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

You can get a cheap set of diamond bits from Harbor Freight. The dust will ruin your dremel if you let it get to it. But it will ruin your lungs too and while you can get another dremel lungs only come one pair to a customer. A paper face mask will not help as the dust that does the most damage will go through anything air will.

11. naturelover

naturelover Well-Known Member

Willow, I use hand held diamond impregnated files that I get at lapidary stores.

What kind of stone is it that you want to work on?

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I wish I knew ... just a pretty rock I found in my yard. (There are millions of them!)

I wanted to make a gravestone for my cat who died last week.

DBF offered to have a stone carved for me (there is a lady who does it locally) but then it occurred to me that if I could do it with a dremel tool, I might buy one and do it myself ... I could use it for other things, too!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will copy and paste this thread ... gotta wait 'til I get my first paycheck, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot! :D

13. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

Hey.

A gravestone is a Christian custom;-)

RF

14. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Want to reiterate the importance of keeping rock dust out of the lungs. The dust is like microscopic scalpals.

Nothing you want affecting your breathing or your bloodstream.

15. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

You could paint on the rock and then seal it,easy fun nothing you couldnt do,paula

16. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

Forgot to add thats what I did for a stone for my mom because my sis has her ashes in a box in her basement she wouldnt even give me any ashes,I wanted to have a diamond made to remeber my momma by sis said the ashes would mold if she opened the up,but I needed somewhere to morn my mom so I painted a big stone sealed a pic of her on it too in my flower bed at least I have a place to go,paula

17. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

ROTFLMAO!

DBF just informed me he has a Dremel tool ... a 400 XPR, to be precise. SURPRISE, SURPRISE! Got the whole kit here, even some sorta saw attachment, wheeee! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! :p

Oh, wait ... Christmas is a Christian custom, isn't it? ;)

18. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Dyno-Mite , is the Bestest and Fastest , just ask Big Rockpile , lol! , fordy

19. WayneR

WayneR Well-Known Member

What about carbide bits? Depends on the type of rock.

Work outside with a BIG fan to blow the dust away from you.

Eye and respiratory protection also.

20. Hillbillybob

Hillbillybob Well-Known Member

I either carve my stones outside with the wind to my side or use my big shop vac to pull the dust into it. I have a wet vac and add some water to both the filter and vac to help with the rock dust. Also if you wet your face mask it will pick up more rock dust than if dry.
    Hillbillybob