will a big kid produce big kids?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by daisymae joanie, Jul 21, 2005.

1. daisymae joanie

daisymae joanie Active Member

i have a buck kid that is out of an american saanen doe and a grade boer buck(medium sized).he was a single kid and was 15lbs. at birth.i would love to keep this guy as a breeder for meat kids.but i am worried that he will produce kids the size he was.what are the chances of this?i want to keep him but don't want to loose does in the process.thanks in advance for your help.

2. daisymae joanie

please give me some type of reply.i know someone on here has had similar experience.thanks

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

He's a single buck, so nothing can be told from that. Now if all his siblings in your herd, from single kids to triplets are big like this, than no I would not use his father or him on young does. It's the cross that gave you this size, and the fact that he is a single, not genetics.

If you have lots of singles born might want to look at your nutrition managment. Especially selenium issues. I would much rather have 3 healthy kids than 1 large one, so we give selenium to the girls per breeding so they ovualte more eggs. Vicki

4. daisymae joanie

thanks vicki i was hoping you would be one that would reply.i value your answers always.i sold his sire last year and the doe was a third freshener(to my knowledge she always has singles,i have only had her one year).
    i gave all my does bose prior to breeding and before kiding.but all of them had singles but also they were all first fresheners except momma saanen.

should i breed my saanen to a saanen buck or nubian buck(to reduce the size problem on this doe.)when she had him i had to pull him quite abit to get him out-not wanting to repeat that.

my other does that i am thinking on breeding to this kid are boer togg.crosses and pygmy boer crosses and maybe a lamancha or two.what do you think yay or nay none of these would be first fresheners.

my others registered does i am going to try to get a.i. ed but my mixed does i would just assume try this buck kid. thanks i hope this is not too confusing.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Even our young 12 month old first freshers twin, many tiplet. I know in LaMancha's we twinned always, singles or triplets were just as uncommon. Are singles normally found in Saanens? I really don't know. But I sure wouldn't want to prepetuate this single thing, using a son out of dam who always singled, having daughters who always singled. 1/2 to 1/3 less in kids sales each year would not make me happy :grump:

What crosses sell in your area? Nothing with airplane ears is popular here, and you can forget selling LaMancha ears either. So I would keep the saanen and other swiss breeds pure, although a friend of mine has a wonderful Snubian! And breed the already pendulous ear crosses to Nubian.

You sort of have to know the bloodline, whether or not they throw large kids. Our old Yazz bloodline buck in LaMancha through scarry big kids, we never bred him or his sons to young does. Now our Nubians, our kids are really normal sized, and since we have such high multiples kid size (large) isn't a consideration. Hope this helps some, because there isnt' an answer to your question :) Vicki

6. daisymae joanie

thanks,i knew there was no for sure answer on this.just figured someone may have took a chance similar to this.i guess i should just sell this guy or just take a chance on it. thanks for your help. oh,anything around here will sell for meat but the heavy guys do sell better.and lamanchas are harder to sell.