"Wildblue" satellite internet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by timberweed, Apr 6, 2006.

1. timberweed

timberweed Active Member

Wondering if anyone has used "wildblue" satellite internet. It is my only option other than my current dial up. They sent me a card in the mail offering "free" set-up (usually $179). The cost of the dish and modem is $299, and monthly fees are $49-79. Any experience or thoughts on this?

Their website is www.wildblue.com.

Thanks!

Cyndy

2. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

It is what I use and I LOVE it! It is so much faster than dial-up. I subscribe to the $49.00 basic and have two computers using it at times. It doesnt bog down, uploading and downloading is quick and I have only had no connection/ limited connectivity three times (a couple of hours here and there and 8 hours during a wicked blizzard...snow accumulation on dish is hard on reception) since September.
    The 299 got me the dish installed, wire to the computer, the computer and dish 'interfaced', the tech checked incoming and outgoing info and e-mail, and he even cleaned up his mess! It was painless and has been worth every penny, IMO

3. OK Yankee

OK Yankee Well-Known Member

Ditto KesWindhunter. We had had it with dial-up. Now we can use the phone at the same time. We also have 2 computers on it. Yankee

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

That's expensive but I'd pay it over dial up. I had to spend $70 on an antenna to get up over all these trees but didn't have to buy anything else. Installation was $100. It's $40 a month. Dial up with an additional phone line (I work and take college classes online) was more expensive.

5. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Has anyone had both Wildblue and Direcway? If so how would you compare the two?

6. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about both Direcway and Wildblue. A good place to read up on both is:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forums/all

Under the Satellite Connectivity section are forums for HughesNet/Direcway and Wildblue.

We have Direcway, we had some problems with the install but once the system was grounded right and I repointed the dish ( I'm so proud of myself, haha ) it has really worked great.

With either system getting it installed right and the dish pointed well is critical. Since you are transmitting on these dishes back to the satellite, they really have to be pointed very precisely for proper operation.

But they do perform far better than dialup, especially downloading. Uploading is a bit better than dialup, but nothing
    great.

7. makeitdolou

makeitdolou Well-Known Member

I have WildBlue and am very satisfied with it!

8. MtnGranny

MtnGranny Well-Known Member

We have had wildblue since October. Works great - much better than our only other option - dial-up. Only lose service with really bad weather and usually not for long. Highly recommend.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've heard decent things about wildblue so far. I know people who have dumped direcway for it and love it.

The thing to remember about satellite is that it is the last possible choice for broadband. If you have access to DSL, Cable or terrestrial wireless broadband of some sort then go with that. Satellite is about the worst way to do broadband. Latency, FAPs among other serious drawbacks. It is the broadband of the very last resort. If it sat or dial-up or nothing at all.....sats rule!

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I have followed WildBlue since I heard about the company years ago when just starting up. And was considering them as soon as they got up and running. But in the mean time my local phone company went around and put up Boosters boxes all around my county and So could anybody then get DSL no matter whee you were my county. SO I went with DSL.~! But Had I not gone DSL I surely would have used WildBlue.~!

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

They are testing now in several cities Internet Over the power lines~!! Yes anybody that is connected to the Grid could then get if they wanted to High Speed Broadband service as long as you have electricity~! Cool!

And now my Phone Company which is a Coop, is getting ready to provide EVERYTHING over the PHONE LINES, Not only voice, but DSL AND CABLE TV all coming in on the phone line~!!! That will be cool to see what kind of package they could over as I have The Dish Network Sat. service now. But If I could get everything from my local phone company and keep the monies here I sure will go for that in a heart Beat. he Phone company has already merged with the Cable service so they are getting ready to offer this service in the not long of a time frame,.... YEAH

12. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

That sounds good AK, but my phone is not reliable...at all. I bet I get 20 days of service outa the month...I now report my phone outage to the co-op with my WB connection instead of driving 20 miles to the nearest working phone...if the road is passable, that is!
    And I wonder if all that 'extra stuff' would travel over the old copper lines we still have out here?!
    The 'perks' of living conveniently in the middle of NoWhere...Lovin' every minute of it... :happy:

13. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I am working from home via satellite internet today (and occasionally peeking in here, I admit!) and I have to say it is great.

I'm spoiled and accustomed to DSL and cable from the city but as I don't have a land line, this is my only option.

I get better connectivity to the outside world via internet connection than by my cell phone!

The costs you were quoted are about what I pay, as well, if you can find a deal on the install/setup then you're in luck.

14. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Keswindhunter

We will be building south of Sundance. Are you close to there? Which phone company do you use?

Jill

15. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

I have Direcway here and it does the job. I think it's expensive and slow but it's much better than the only other option which is dial-up. I used to have DSL before I moved and that was a lot faster and cheaper too.

16. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had Direcway for about 4 years now. Back on the farm, and now use it via a tripod with our RV. It's not as fast as cable, but it works everywhere, we can go anywhere at all in the RV and get online, gotta love it.

17. timberweed

timberweed Active Member

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to give it a try - I'll let you know how it works out...
    Cyndy