Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 year old son shot a large tom on Wednesday. We field dressed it and soaked it in cold water for a while and then put it in our second refrigerator. I still needed to do some cleaning on it but just didn't have the time right then. It was plucked and eviscerated, just not as clean as I would normally do.

Today my daughter discovers the refrigerator door standing wide open and the inside of the refrigerator is room temperature. Best I can figure it was open at least 12 hours.

So, what do I do with this turkey? Do I go ahead and cook it or do I need to through it out? Personally, I'm not heartbroken about throwing it out since it feels alot like a rubber chicken anyway lol but my son will be pretty upset.

The only other thing in there I am concerned about is eggs. I have about 8 dozen eggs in there from my chickens but they have not been washed.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Beth

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Pity about the turkey, but it wouldn't be safe. Eggs are probably OK, but check each one before you use it.

To avoid wasting the turkey, you could give it to your chickens. They can handle a lot more bacteria than we can. I've been told they could have something like that raw, but I'd cook it. Just chop it up & boil it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The eggs will be fine. Back in Germany 26 yrs. ago, it was against the law to keep eggs in the refrigerator in commercial kitchens because of possible salmonella cross contamination. Eggs sat out for days at room temperatures. I say 26 yrs. ago because that was the last time I was over there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts