wild raspberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by perennial, Jul 11, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Just curious - i just realized that the entire creek/drain off at the bottom of my driveway is filled with wild raspberry bushes. I figure they are ripe when the raspberry slips off easily. Anything else i should know. Probably why the birds and deer stay out of my garden!

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Thats about it. Just taste them and you'll know when they are at their best.

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I seem to have poison ivy mixed in with my raspberries----picked a pint today just along my driveway------------I needed to make sure I washed my arms and legs really well as soon as I got back to the house.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

if you are into it, try thinning and pruning them for a nice crop next year. you have primocanes and floricanes. the floricanes are those that produce fruit this year. the primocanes will produce fruit next year. when the floricanes are done producing, eliminate them. prune and maintain the primocanes (and floricanes next spring) to about 36 inches in height. this will help the lateral branch growth which is the part that produces fruit. maintain the lateral branches at about 6 inches. sometimes i let them go just a bit longer, about 10 inches. thin the plants so the bramble can breath. ventilation will help to prevent moldy fruit. if you are really into it, maintain 1 foot wide rows.

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'm going to see what we have later today - i'll definitely have to double/triple check for ticks, etc. I keep a lookout for poision ivy.

Not sure about maintaining them this year as they are completely wild and never been touched - maybe hubby will be wanting too after he tastes the first batch.

I'm going to see if they are growing elsewhere on the property also - as i'm sure there are a few snakes down by that drainoff - you'll hear me hollering
    to where you are. I haven't seen a snake since i was a kid! My son
    saw a 3 foot king snake in our driveway a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the tips - i hand't thought of the poision ivy. I'll let you all know
    how we make out.

6. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Sooooo many wild blackberries "up the hill"..... My neighbor told me when we moved in "You just bought 18 acres of blackberries." He was right!!! They are getting pink now. In a week, blackberry cobbler, and blackberry muffins, and blackberry jelly........ YYYUUUMMMM!!!!!!
    No way to cut paths through 'em though, they are on a "sidehill"!! Maybe you could use a gas weedwhacker....... :hobbyhors

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think i will rent a dr trimmer or a sickle bar mower (front configured) to finish clearing my over-grown berry/ briar field. i want berries there but i need them to be in rows. :)