Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now this is a surprise! I have dealt with rabbits in the garden my whole life and have manages to keep them at bay.Not this time! You know,carrots,cabbage,broccoli etc. That's easy! Just some powdered hot peppers applies when wet and they don't eat it anymore! That's a slick trick but not this year! Seems noone told me how much rabbits LOVE blackeye peas! This is my first year raising them and all was well 'till last week! I guess it must be that the weather has turned cooler but now they are steady into my blackeye peas!They just bypassed all their normal foods and seem to love blackeyes. Everytime I go to the garden I run off rabbits and down the rows the blackeyes are being eaten,not the plants but the beans themselves!I raised 3 other type "beans" and they haven't touched them,or any of their normal foods but boy they are tearing up the blackeye peas!
So is this common or do I just have some weird rabbits?

Wade

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have one rabbit in my garden, and can't figure out how it's gotten in since my garden is fenced. It has eaten my bean plants, as well as the leaves off my peppers and raspberries. I basically think that rabbits will eat anything green that catches their fancy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't grow blackeyed peas, but the rabbits ate my sugar snap peas to the ground this year. They nibbled other plants here and there, but the peas they just decimated.

It also meant that a branch from the pea plant worked really well in the trap to lure them in.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I planted blackeyed peas three times this year. First two times the rabbits ate them just as fast as they could germinate. DH finally put up a bunny fence around the garden for me and I planted them a third time with success.

Evidently they didn't like anything else as much as those peas.

We had an awful lot of bunnies this year so I could never have had any peas without that fence.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Help !
We are going to be over run with rabbits this year. Does anyone know of anything that will keep them away from my plants other than shooting them.
I thought I read somewhere at Homesteading Today that Irish Spring soap would work. Anyone with any ideas ? Be thankful for some help.

·
Premium Member
8,354 Posts
You have no doubt heard the expression; 'reproducing' like bunnies. Your steady supply of tasty goodies is helping them do just that. If you want to "live and let live", it's called Rabbit Guard at Lowe's or Home Depot, or many other places. About fifty cents/foot, plus stakes(rebar) and time to set up.

I usually make like Elmer Fudd with my blunderbuss whenever I see Bugs Bunny munching my carrots..... :)

geo

·
Registered
401 Posts
You have no doubt heard the expression; 'reproducing' like bunnies. Your steady supply of tasty goodies is helping them do just that. If you want to "live and let live", it's called Rabbit Guard at Lowe's or Home Depot, or many other places. About fifty cents/foot, plus stakes(rebar) and time to set up.

I usually make like Elmer Fudd with my blunderbuss whenever I see Bugs Bunny munching my carrots..... :)

geo
I agree, the best and cheapest solution to the rabbit problem is "the final solution."

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
sounds like a missed opportunity to add more meat to the freezer, why not live trap and set up breeding pens.
We raise New Zealand white rabbits for meat. Not much meat on the wild ones out here and they don't usually live long once captured. Don't know if it's shock or what but they fall over dead.

Reactions: Forcast

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a few wild eastern cotton tails around, well one less after the one my cat got today. they seem to not bother my garden and my dad who lives through the woods and across a road from me has many many more on his property and for the most part they leave his garden alone too, we both have raised beds but I think the fact we both have lawns with a very high clover content and they seem to just stay in the lawn eating the dutch clover instead.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Free and easy way to keep from the garden is human urine. I let the males in the family pee around the garden and it keeps the rabbits out. They smell it and stay away. It works every time for us. It sounds gross, but they are not watering the plants, just the ground around the garden.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts