wild rabbit with tremors, will it live?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by designer, May 26, 2006.

1. designer

designer Well-Known Member

we have found a baby bunny near our rose bush. We would normaly
    just leave him be but this one can't run away. When you get close he shakes like some sort of seizure. When he settles down he will stop shaking then a minute later he will start to have tremors then stops. He has his eyes open but is only about 4 inches long. We saw another baby the day before and it ran away with no problem. My husband wants to shot it to "put it out of it's misery" So a fox won't get him. Does this sound like a fatal problem? There doesn't seem to be any wounds. what should we do? Thanks.

Have a great day,
    Carol Motsinger

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I say let nature run it's course, or let your husband quicken the natural pace. If there's something physically wrong with the poor tyke, it's better if he dies. He just doesn't sound fit to live and breed, unless you would like to have hundreds of seizure-rabbits all over your property.

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I know this probably sounds harsh but when we find baby rabbits, healthy or not, we feed them to the dogs. The rabbits are a HUGE annoyance here.

4. DWIGHT DUNCAN

DWIGHT DUNCAN Active Member

I think I read that Tularemia is a growing problem this year in some wild rabbit populations.

Exposure to sick or dead animals: Ulceroglandular tularemia can also result from handling or being bitten by an infected animal, most often a rabbit or hare. Bacteria enter the skin through small cuts and abrasions or a bite, and an ulcer forms at the wound site. The ocular form of tularemia can occur when you rub your eyes after touching a sick animal.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

It's a rabbit that didn't make the cut for whatever reason. Don't get worked up about it. They'll be hundreds more to take it's place around your property this summer. If you're feeling particularly sentimental (which believe it or not even I am capable of) you can put the poor thing out of it's misery. You don't need to go through all the dramatics of shooting it though. Either pick it up and pop it's little bunny head off or break it's little bunny neck or simply step on it's little bunny head with the heel of your boot.

You should hear my place at night. We've had a regular explosion in rabbit numbers and the local owls and other predators are setting up shop in my backyard at night. It's some sort of all-you-can-eat bunny buffet horror show at night. Every so often you'll hear a rabbit scream. Occasionally you'll get one who doesn't die but screams all the while he is disassembled. Sweet maria what a blood curdling racket. Especially when they do it right outside your open bedroom window at 3am.

On the upside young rabbits despite their annoyance in the garden are fantastic table fare.

6. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

could the little guy have gotten into some poisen?

7. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Designer, I would be very very careful handling a sick shakey animal. It may just be dying from exposure or have rabies. A friend lost a finger to a rabbit scratch that got a fever. Also from NC-"where you be"?

8. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have kids dont let the the children touch it. This animal is very sick and needs to be put down.
    Im also the kind that sees a hurt animal and needs to help it. This animal is very sick. Get it out away from all your other animals and children.