wild pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Sep 25, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Just wondering about wild pigs. There aren't any where I live, at least not that I'm aware of, where would one purchase them? Or are they just a U.S. thing?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Check out hunting magazines in Canada- there may be lodges up your way that have a breeding program. If not you will have to check to see if you can enter them into Canada. If you can, then find a trapper or breeder (I am a breeder :D ) by way of hunting mags inthe U.S. . You will need a pseudorabies and brucellosis test done on your pigs and obtain the required health certificates to ship them on air cargo. Needless to say very young weaned piglets will be the best for this. There are lodges in PA and Ohio that might help you out- I can get the phone numbers if you are interested. Other concerns you'll have to address are time of year you ship, airline transfers, etc. Hope that helps.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks Marcia, I'd like to try one or two, maybe next year. Can they be raised with domestics? And how big do they get?

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

They can't be raised with domestics from what I've seen. Domestics could die. That said, after several generations of captive breeding on your place, they will probably each develop immunity to the other. I kept my domestic pigs on the other side of my property from my wild pigs and I fed my domestics first or tended them first. I used boot washes when I left the wild pen. At times I forgot and probably took some dirt from the wild pen to the domestics and never had problems. I've known two people who penned them together and lost their domestics because of it :(
    Their size depends on how much Russian influence they have. The more Russian, the bigger they get. Wild pigs in Florida have diluted Russian influence to the point that boars don't usually surpass 250 - 300 pounds and sows don't usually surpass 125 - 150 pounds. The Florida wild pig is diverse in color but is generally a hardy rooter with limited genetic size potential. In Texas where there is more Russian influence, they reach bigger sizes. A pure bred Russian boar might reach 1000 pounds. When you are looking around at lodges ask these questions because different populations yield different traits. I think you'll love wild pigs. They are a lot of fun. Just got four more yesterday :)