Wild Hops????

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Cabin Fever, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We found these vines growing near the edge of a wetland this morning. They look like hops, but I always thought that hops were an imported cultivated plant and do not grow wild. If they are hops, is there anything we can use them for besides making beer?

[​IMG]

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

They sure do look like hops. I'm pretty sure that everything we grow in our gardens was, at one time (and probably still) a wild plant. We just use cultivars of the wild varieties.

And what's wrong with beer? ;)

3. Beergeek

Beergeek Self-Medicating

Yes- those are hops.
    Several seed/plant catalogues sell hops as ornamental vines. Rarely will you find a male plant (this one is female), as once the hops go to seed, they are less desirable for beer brewing.
    You can make hop tea for drinking, as long as you like bitter tea, or you can spice it up to your tastes. They say drinking hop tea before bed give you (more) vivid dreams.
    I have made a tea mix using equal portions of hops, chamomile and elderflowers, and have found that it stops people from snoring.