Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weve been trapping wild hogs and removing them from a farmers land. Where going to release some of them on a private island so we can hunt them. Is there any market for these pigs. We have 20 babies that we have already trapped. They look like the russians.Half are black and the rest are brown red and black stripped. Thanks Arnold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,205 Posts
arnoldw said:
Weve been trapping wild hogs and removing them from a farmers land. Where going to release some of them on a private island so we can hunt them. Is there any market for these pigs. We have 20 babies that we have already trapped. They look like the russians.Half are black and the rest are brown red and black stripped. Thanks Arnold
If you can kill them in a bloodless way - I use CO2- and freeze them for two weeks or more to kill parasites, the snake keepers in your area will buy them. My customers buy pigs up to 30 pounds easily. They don't like to pay much but you can safely charge $1.00 / pound. That is assuming that your area has no ordinances/laws against keeping giant snakes. A snake has to be at least 15 feet before it can consume a ten pound pig because of the head size. There is a yahoo group called snakefeeders you can join for free and advertise in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I was hoping to find someone who raises wild hogs and maybe looking for some breeders. WE already turned enough loose to get us started and we seem to continue to catch them everytime we set the traps. I already have my freezer full since we started this. These wild hogs are ruining this farmers wheat field. Where seeing 50 to 60 at the time. We have the land leased to hunt but only 3 and sometime 4 people hunt them here. Thanks Arnold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Might I suggest that you get in touch with local butcher shops and such and it might work out that the homeless shelters and food pantries in your area would be very glad to get the meat. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,205 Posts
arnoldw said:
What I was hoping to find someone who raises wild hogs and maybe looking for some breeders. WE already turned enough loose to get us started and we seem to continue to catch them everytime we set the traps. I already have my freezer full since we started this. These wild hogs are ruining this farmers wheat field. Where seeing 50 to 60 at the time. We have the land leased to hunt but only 3 and sometime 4 people hunt them here. Thanks Arnold
I look for good breeders all the time and will by Russian-looking gilts- they are black, long-legged, short ears, and straight tails. I also look for exceptional little boars, with som eoomph to them. I am in Okeechobee, Florida. Where are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tango said:
I look for good breeders all the time and will by Russian-looking gilts- they are black, long-legged, short ears, and straight tails. I also look for exceptional little boars, with som eoomph to them. I am in Okeechobee, Florida. Where are you?
Thank you for all the imfo, Arnold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to the auction today and they said no proublem bringing wild pigs there. They normaly have people looking for them, for hunting clubs. Thanks all Arnold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,205 Posts
arnoldw said:
I went to the auction today and they said no proublem bringing wild pigs there. They normaly have people looking for them, for hunting clubs. Thanks all Arnold
Hey that is great! I'm glad you found market. A little extra cash for you giving some good eating to the world :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tango said:
Hey that is great! I'm glad you found market. A little extra cash for you giving some good eating to the world :)
Thanks Everyone for the Greatmn responses that we all enjoy here.
Arnold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tango said:
Hey that is great! I'm glad you found market. A little extra cash for you giving some good eating to the world :)
Thanks Everyone for the Greatmn responses that we all enjoy here.
Arnold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
arnoldw said:
Thanks Everyone for the Greatmn responses that we all enjoy here.
Arnold
I would be interested in getting a few young pigs. I would like them in the range of 15 to 25 lbs. I would be willing to pay $20 to $30.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top