wild hogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by arnoldw, Apr 11, 2004.

1. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Weve been trapping wild hogs and removing them from a farmers land. Where going to release some of them on a private island so we can hunt them. Is there any market for these pigs. We have 20 babies that we have already trapped. They look like the russians.Half are black and the rest are brown red and black stripped. Thanks Arnold

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you might call the local livestock sale and see if you can run them thru.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

If you can kill them in a bloodless way - I use CO2- and freeze them for two weeks or more to kill parasites, the snake keepers in your area will buy them. My customers buy pigs up to 30 pounds easily. They don't like to pay much but you can safely charge $1.00 / pound. That is assuming that your area has no ordinances/laws against keeping giant snakes. A snake has to be at least 15 feet before it can consume a ten pound pig because of the head size. There is a yahoo group called snakefeeders you can join for free and advertise in.

4. arnoldw

What I was hoping to find someone who raises wild hogs and maybe looking for some breeders. WE already turned enough loose to get us started and we seem to continue to catch them everytime we set the traps. I already have my freezer full since we started this. These wild hogs are ruining this farmers wheat field. Where seeing 50 to 60 at the time. We have the land leased to hunt but only 3 and sometime 4 people hunt them here. Thanks Arnold

5. silver

silver Active Member

Might I suggest that you get in touch with local butcher shops and such and it might work out that the homeless shelters and food pantries in your area would be very glad to get the meat. Just a thought.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I look for good breeders all the time and will by Russian-looking gilts- they are black, long-legged, short ears, and straight tails. I also look for exceptional little boars, with som eoomph to them. I am in Okeechobee, Florida. Where are you?

7. arnoldw

Thank you for all the imfo, Arnold

8. arnoldw

I went to the auction today and they said no proublem bringing wild pigs there. They normaly have people looking for them, for hunting clubs. Thanks all Arnold

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hey that is great! I'm glad you found market. A little extra cash for you giving some good eating to the world :)

10. arnoldw

Thanks Everyone for the Greatmn responses that we all enjoy here.
    Arnold

11. arnoldw

Thanks Everyone for the Greatmn responses that we all enjoy here.
    Arnold

12. t234063

t234063 New Member

I would be interested in getting a few young pigs. I would like them in the range of 15 to 25 lbs. I would be willing to pay $20 to $30.