Wild Grapes When to transplant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by arddunglynfarm, Jul 28, 2006.

1. arddunglynfarm

arddunglynfarm Member

Hey all. I think I found some wild grapes in Denver, and want to transplant them to my home at 10,000 ft above sea level. Any thoughts about wild grapes ????experiences ???or advice would be appreciated. I have had a bad year for gardening and would like to feel like I accomplished something so I don't want to mess this up. Thanks in advance, S

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had luck in the fall. Good luck. Trim back all the leaves except two. Keep watered.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are the wild grapes edible? the ones we have here are spread by the birds, and are mostly just seeds. The grape its self is only as big as a real small pea.

4. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

We have lots of wild grapes here and we love them!!! I would wait to transplant them until it's more like fall as was mentioned above. Yes they are small, not much bigger than a pea and filled with two seeds that are big compared to the overall size of the grape but they are packed with flavor! They can be used to make jelly-easy, jam-more work, and wine-lots of time invested. Fresh from the vine they are usually tart and not the best table type grape, but I have made many jars of jam with them that are begged for by everyone that has tried it! What we do is pick the grapes in the fall, making sure we don't discard all the underripe ones. Once we have the grapes off the stems I place them in a collander that is placed in a larger bowl and fill with cold tap water, let set for a few minutes. This will clean the grapes and cause any bugs that are present to float to the surface for removal. After that is done I let the grapes drain and dry somewhat and then place them in 1 gal. freezer bags and freeze them for later use. Then in the dead of winter (before Christmas if you want some for gift giving) get a bag out and make some jelly or jam with them! It is by far the best grape jam I have ever tasted, sweet with a tartness that makes it very a very special treat. If you'd like a recipe just let me know and I'll be happy to share!
    Jeannine