Wild goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cornhusker, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

We bought a couple little wethers a while back to train to pull a cart. They were wild as deer for a while and are still a bit leary of us. We finally got the so they'll eat out of a dish while we hold it, and they have been known to eat out of our hand on occassion.
    It's slow going.
    My question is, should i keep going slow, or should i just catch them, halter them and handle them a lot?
    I've read articles that say you should chase them until they wear out if they turn away, but not to if they come towards you.
    Any opinions?

2. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

It probably depends on the goat, but we had a pretty wild wether who got deerworm, which forced us to catch him for treatment for 8 days in a row (just oral drench and pills, nothing painful). He immediately became almost a pest. Still follows you everywhere now, tugging at your clothes and nipping at your elbows.

So you might try catching your wether a few times, give him a treat, make a big fuss over him, try brushing him. Don't let him go until he is totally calmed down. Most of ours love to get special attention.

Nancy

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I think I would put them in a smallish pen, where they can't browse. So that they are dependent on you for food. Food is an incredible motivator for goats!
    That way too, when they are munching on their hay and stuff, you can put your hands on them and start training them to sounds of your voice etc.

4. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I agree with the smaller pen idea. Never chase a goat. It terrifies them/ You would only confuse him and frustrate you. Apple horse treats, peanuts, raisens. These all work great.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try to pen them up a bit.
    They are in the corral now, it's goat tight and bull strong, but they do have a lot of room to move around.
    I think I'll use a panel and crowd them into a corner before I feed them today.
    Thanks.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I have a couple of boer crosses that aren't used to being handled. My method is to just go into their pen and sit there. The tamer goats come over begging for treats. Eventually the "wild" goats get curious too.

Ruth

7. TAdkins

TAdkins Member

I bought 2 goats a few years ago that had never been touched. When time for worming they would climb the barn walls. I would confine them each day at feeding time and I started feeding them treats like light bread by hand. It took a while, but soon they would let you touch their head, then later their back. Now you can pet them any way you want to. I think they just have to get to know you and know you're not going to hurt them.