Wild Geranium?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by froggirl, Jun 25, 2006.

1. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Since there's no "Health Forum" here I wasn't sure where to post this. I was wondering, have any of you ever taken Wild Geranium extract? Been reading about it in a magazine and the benefits sound pretty good. Any info?
    Thanks!
    --f,g,

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Never heard of it??? whats it for?? I know this sounds Stupid. But really what is it for?? thanks

3. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Not stupid at all! I'd never heard of it then I was reading an article in my dh's Men's Health about the Tarahumara Indians. Basically, they never get sick and run marathons when they're in their 60's. Plus, they drink a lot of beer and eat a corn concoction (mega carbs) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One reason (the author states) may be the wild Geranium that grows there. It says: "Sure, it's a folk remedy, but one supported by science: Geraniums are packed with proanthocyanidins, powerful flavenoids shown to be anti-everything--anti-inflamatory, antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant. In fact, a recent study n the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found the extract to be as effective as reservatrol--the flavanoid in red wine--at neutralizing desease causing free-radicals."

I thought it was kinda interesting...
    --f.g.

4. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm - I have a nice little plot of them here . Never knew they were medicinal or nutritious. I'll have to investigate . They are one hearty plant that likes shade and moisture .

5. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Let me know what your investigation unearths. :nerd:
    --f.g.

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

they're also good for dealing with jap. beatles from all the reading I've done. I'd LOOOOOOVE to have some, some day just for that reason. reese

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

8. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Great. I have been tearing that crazy wild geranium out for the past two years. Didn't know I was supposed to save/use it!

Pony!

9. njmama

njmama Well-Known Member

In Growing 101 Herbs that Heal, It says that wild geranium can be used internally and externally as an astrigent for gastointenstinal complaints, skin & throat conditions and is considered a wonderful antiseptic herb.

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Guess I'm going to have to put that in the same category as the plantain, then.

Sheesh.

Oh, well. I'm not all that into the lawn grass anyway. ;)

Pony!

11. njmama

njmama Well-Known Member

I totally agree Pony! I never knew for ages that plantain had so many benefits. I absolutely fell in love with it after I gauged myself with dh's pocket knife. Made a plantain poultice took the pain away and no stitches! :hobbyhors

12. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

good info....
    --f.g.