Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are at least 40 wild forest fires to the northwest and southwest of our place. Amazing amount of smoke in the air as our winds come from the west. While you are running about today please put in a good thought for our daring fire fighters. They come from all over the country to help us during this time of year. Another plane load from Alaska came in today....I feel so badly for them and dont know how they can do what they do day in and day out in such thick smoke, steep mountain terrain and hot temps. This is where our beetle killed lodgepole pines are really agravating the situation! sis

·
Registered
415 Posts
This is a year for the record books sisterpine. I don't know if you're as dry down there in Butte as we are but it's moving on 7 weeks without rain and that month of July with temps 95~100+ just behind us. Dang.
We're smack between the Mile 124 fire and the Seeley fire.
I'm afraid 2007 is going to make 2003 look like a rehearsal.
Stay safe and yes, keep those firefighters in your thoughts as we hit Day 4 of the once-upon-a-time official fire season.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bless your heart! Please do not do heavy physical stuff outside with the air like this, I saw a gal in Butte today wearing one of those white masks (like i wear for spray painting) and toting her oxygen bottle (she must have lung disease) - felt sick inside just thinking of all those with breathing diseases! sis

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
They just got the fire out that was burning outside town with the help of a little rain. Today another one a few miles farther flared up pretty good. Last week the area filled with smoke, from the fire over in western Idaho. And southern Idaho has one that burned up 1200+ sq miles of rangeland. We journeyed to Idaho Falls today and saw no smoke for the first time in weeks.

·
Clinton, Louisiana
1,889 Posts
The Meriwether fire came within a mile of my cabin in Montana. I live in Louisiana, so I was on the phone with the fire people quite a bit. As the fire was approaching the area where the cabins are on our road, the fire crews wrapped each cabin with a foil covering and put a fire truck with two fireman at each house. Some of the fireman are volunteers. The fireman do a good job fighting fires. Now while I am thinking of it, will they take the foil wrap down and use it on another house or will they leave it up till I get there to remove it? I have been run out of my cabin due to fires in the area before, but never had the foil wrapped on the cabin. Later Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
And--we sit here in Mo. and gripe cause its getting hotter!!
My heart goes out to all of you close to the fires, please, keep us posted on how you are.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My prayers are with you all, we had the firefighters from all over the country down here with our wildfire. With ours they had flat land, aligators and snakes, I met many nice firefighters and will continue to pray for them. Twice we had firefighters stationed at our house, they are truly dedicated.

Have everything ready to evacuate and please do so to stay safe, people are more important than things.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Well I was sure I posted yesterday but I don't see it now.

May God protect the firefighters, homeowners, property, animals and keep everyone safe who are in the danger zones. Praying you get rain to put out the fires and clear the smoke out of the air.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Myo goodness, it's still bad over there. We were in Missoula a couple weeks ago & the smoke was so thick in the air, and it was so hot! I hope you stay safe.

We are not far from the Easton fire here in WA; it was caused by a helicopter crash that claimed the lives of 4. It's burned over 500 acres since Thursday and it is apparently only 10% contained. There is a crew of over 160 up there now; I can only imagine the thousands that must be in Montana. I have a lot of imagination & respect for them and pray that they are all kept safe as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
im sending good thoughts your way. have just finished a many year drought with horrid fires that appeared to pop out of nowhere. the local volunteer firefighters, my heroes, charge past here about once every month on the way to stopping something before it gets in the tree tops.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
sisterpine said:
Summers like this continously remind me of how small i am in this universe and how little control i have over anything! sis
Amen Sisterpine!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
My prayers are with you!

Remember the Rodeo Chedieski fire in the White Mountains in 2002 with over 460,000 acres, 465 homes, 6 businesses burned along with 6 towns evacuated? And human started!!

I hope nothing like that ever happens again to anyone.

The one thing that was learned was to keep everything clear around your home and if possible have a green belt next to your home. It was amazing to see one home standing with nothing burnt & the next just cinders.

Be safe.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today is the worst the smoke has been. My eyes burn, I am a bit dizzy and nauseas. Either it is smoke or I am getting the flu LOL. Cant see the valley or other mountains at all and the air stinks horribly. DH just went for a ride around to make sure we had no new fires near us as we would not be able to see a smoke plume through all of this. Please join me in a prayer for this to subside soon! sis

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
are you ready to evacuate - if not for the fire, for the smoke? My issue was the chickens, then someone here suggested my dog kennels.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes we are ready, husband who has copd is not allowed out of the house today and the dogs must stay in as well. Seems if we keep the house closed up it is better. Regarding evac. I do not know where we would go that would be better and still allow me to work. Keeping lots of fresh water for the animals seems to help them...they sure are not running around much, just hanging in the shade. Hopefully this will end soon. sis

·
Premium Member
19,980 Posts
I'm sorry Sisterpine, I drove thru that muck last week and it was nasty then. There were fires burning right down to the highway too. It gave me a headache just passing thru it.

·
Premium Member
19,980 Posts
Wolf mom said:
My prayers are with you!

Remember the Rodeo Chedieski fire in the White Mountains in 2002 with over 460,000 acres, 465 homes, 6 businesses burned along with 6 towns evacuated? And human started!!

I hope nothing like that ever happens again to anyone.

The one thing that was learned was to keep everything clear around your home and if possible have a green belt next to your home. It was amazing to see one home standing with nothing burnt & the next just cinders.

Be safe.
We nearly lost everything in the Hochdoerffer fire back in around 95-96 north of Flagstaff. Luckily we were in a meadow and we just lost our woodpile and a fence post. Our neighbors in the trees lost everything to the 30 foot high walls of flame.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
May the good Lord keep you and yours safe & protected. I pray that rain will come and drench everything, putting the fire out. Don't take chances, Sister!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts