Wild cherry leaves

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jonc, Nov 28, 2006.

1. jonc

jonc Well-Known Member

A friend just lost a goat and suspects wild cherry leaves. They would have been leaves that fell, not still on the tree as this happen a few days ago. I thought that once they fell naturally, they were not toxic to goats...am I imagining this?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

no you are not imagine this.
    cherry leaves are very toxic whe they are damaged and wilting or had frost damage.
    i have lots of black cherry trees and my goats are eating the leaves green or in fall when they are brown. some how they seem to know when they are eddible.
    i would always clean cherry debrie after a storm

3. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I have an ornamental plum or cherry that hangs over my goat fence...given the goats the green branches/leaves with no ill effects. Is it just the dead leaves that are toxic?

4. susanne

joan if the goats are eating the leaves directly from the bush or tree there will be no problem. if you cut the branches, the leaves are starting to wilt and the goats are eating the wilting leaves they can die from it.
    also if the leaves are still green and after drough the frost hit the leaves become very toxic to goats.
    i would not give cherry clippings.

5. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

my vet told me that cherry leaves might have been the cause of my Obbie's sickness last spring. I really don't know how or if that was it (we do have a wild cherry but it is no where near the goats) but it was something my vet brought up as a possibly poisoning.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

What happens to the leaves when they wilt to turn them toxic...very strange....any other plants work like this??

7. susanne

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

cyanide, it was responcible for the deaths of Many expensive rasehorse unborn foals back in 2000-2001 , the had a Large migration of caterpillers in the pastures who Ate cherry leaves and built up enough prussic acid in them to cause abortion, or late term birth of foals who weren't devolped enough to breathe on their own.

9. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

After getting my goats, I went around cutting the many cherry trees in my pasture being sure that the goats did not eat any of the leaves. BIG PROBLEM, the next spring each tree that I cut down had many sprouts come up off the old stumps. The goats were continuely eating them off and had no sicknesses. After about two years of eating these new sprouts that came up in the spring the trees finally stoped producing and died. If I did have a tree that blew over and died, I would probably take if out of the pasture, but if the leaves shed naturally I leave them alone. I now make no effort to remove cherry trees from my farm.

10. susanne

this reminds me of my start with goats. i have two very old, big beautiful cherry trees. when i found out that they are toxic i almost panicked and wanted them down. but with research and talking to lot of other people my fear dissapeard and the two old trees are still there. so nice shade in summer :)