Wild Cherry....edible?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gypsymama, Jun 18, 2006.

1. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

The edge of the woods are filled with dark red cherries as well as yellow ones. Are they edible? So far, what I've read says they are, but I wanted first hand experience.
    Are they good to make jelly out of?

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

does the tree have bark that is smooth but peeling, kinda like a birch tree? are the cherries a blush with both red and yellow colors or are they seperate trees?

3. gypsymama

They are separate trees, one with yellow fruit, one with red. The bark is cherry and the leaves on both trees are the same kind.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Don't take my word (alone) for it but around here the red ones about the size of your finger are eatable (least i haven't eaten enough to kill me yet) but i don't think the little pea sized ones are.Both trees look very similar but the size of the fruit is much different.Never seen a yellow one.Hum could they be immature fruit? Since there on a separate tree.

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

there are yellow cherries, no doubt, my husband used to make wine out of them, very good sherry. The starlings, thrushes etc never touched them, I think they were waiting for them to turn red.
    I do not know of any poisonous cherries. we have some on the premisses that grow in a cluster like currants. the fruit is little, tedious, but tasty, and the birds get them.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The foliage is toxic to livestock.

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

there are a couple soft fleshed blush (yellow and red skinned) cherry trees in my neighborhood. i don't really know if they are native or not. i suspect they are just overgrown domestic cherries long forgotten.

8. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Uncle Will is absolutely correct about the leaves being poisonous to livestock. If you have a tree in or very near a pasture you need to fence around it. Heard somewhere that the pits have a very toxic property. Do not know this for a fact but would not take a chance. Gideon(06)

9. gypsymama

Thanks all, for your replies! :)

And thanks about the leaves being poisonous...didn't know that.