Wild Boars

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by RoyalOaksRanch, Nov 30, 2003.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

A friend of mine raises wild boar. When these pigs cause problems for people he either shoots them or catches them.. He has 4 males and probably 3 good breeding sows.. I must admit I really like the red ones LOL...
    WE had a BBQ over their house and I swear the meat is better than domestic pigs..
    I LOVE their personalties... They talk ALOT more than regular pigs. The meat is LOTS leaner, And the babies are born striped... They are SO adorable...
    They are really friendly when raised from birth.
    Has anyone else raised this type of pig?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I have razorbacks- one of my sows just had her first litter Nov. 21. I doubt I have purebred razorbacks but they look pretty close to pure from photos I've seen. They're all black, have long course hair, and grow slower and stay smaller than domestic pigs. They have longer snouts than domestics. All of Itchy's babies were born completely black. I also have a few mixed sows. One is black and white and is gorgeous. I have a spotted tan and black and a red sow with a white blaze. They're mixed wild swine and domestic. I prefer to work with the wild ones. We've not eaten any yet but are fattening up a gilt for Christmas.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

I guess these are a russian type boar... Are your babies born striped too? Even when these are born black you can see stripes if you look closely....

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This litter was pure black. The striping sounds very nice though, are the pigs you are referring to also Russian type? I've just come across some pigs called Piney Woods rooters and am wondering if they are the same as the Russian...

5. RoyalOaksRanch

Well I was told russian but they are wild pigs so who knows what they may be crossed up with... Beings they are in Calif Lord only knows LOL