Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have confirmed some wild boar sign on my land. I found a wallow. How is the best way to hunt these critters? Will they revisit this wallow? Food for them is everywhere, so there is no pinpointing a feeding area so much. I assume the are quite nocturnal, and so I am not sure where to begin, other than set up my game camera, and go from there.

These would be escapees from a couple of former boar farms, but they are wild as they come.

Thanks for any info. Googling helps, but I trust you folks to know a fair bit.

Dale

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
fd,
I read a report that wild boars are now an invasive species in
Saskatchewan and spreading into Manitoba. They are hairy
winter hardy critters. Might provide some wild game hunting
action, though I suspect many farmers won't want them around.
I know nothing about hunting them, just interested in reading
other comments on this thread.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Well I have confirmed some wild boar sign on my land. I found a wallow. How is the best way to hunt these critters? Will they revisit this wallow? Food for them is everywhere, so there is no pinpointing a feeding area so much. I assume the are quite nocturnal, and so I am not sure where to begin, other than set up my game camera, and go from there.

These would be escapees from a couple of former boar farms, but they are wild as they come.

Thanks for any info. Googling helps, but I trust you folks to know a fair bit.

Dale
............Watched a video on youtube , guy built a 40'x40' pen with an electric drop gate , didn't activitate the gate until the whole herd was inside ! Once gate was dropped , those pigs became cruise missiles , but fence was made out of galvanized steel panels attached to Tposts .
............The fun part was when he took his 12ga. and sent them to pig heaven . Lotsa dead pigs . , fordy

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Trapping is the best way, they will get trap shy,then take a little one put it in a pen inside the trap.

If I was farming Iwwouldn't like them but as a hunter they are fun and good eating.

big rockpile

Reactions: arcticow

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Can't help you either, but they are becoming a problem, more so in Western NYS, so the state in all it's wisdom (???) passed a law that prohibits hunting them period and bans in-state hunting preserves from even having or importing the pigs as of 2015.......

Seems they (the state) thinks that the DEC can control and/or eliminate the problem of wild pigs better then all the hunters within the state sooooo therefore the law.
Of course those preserves and all the money brought in to the state don't count cause they of course, according to down-staters, the preserves are the root of problem anyway.

Oh and that's the same "down-staters" that gave us the SAFE Act...... don't figure?????

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
traps , I have a co-worker in tx that successfully traps several each year

he does nto weld so he uses a t-post inside and outside with hog pannel between to make his cage putting tposts every 4-5 feet and double and wired together at each spot for his door he pulled back the corner of a pannel and held it open with a block of wood so they enter through a 24 inch opening in a sort of tear drop shaped cage made from 4 panels 16 feet each he overlaps the pannels by a foot and wires them together
he then places a bucket of corn on a cinder block standing upright the get used to knocking the corn over for a few nights and bringing their buddies then he sets the bucket up there is a pipe that runs across teh top of his cage that the bucket is tied over then back to the block of wood that holds the door from wanting to close the weight of a bucket of corn falling 16 inches is enough to pull the block of wood and they are trapped the door is reinforced with angle iron and when they push it pushes into a t post and lock into the other side of the fence where the 2 ends come together

he waits till the butcher opens calls them tells them how many he has coming then a 22lr behind the ear , load them in the truck and off to town to the butcher

he isn't much of a hunter except by necessity of protecting his orchard but he gets enough this way that everyone in his family is set for pork each year they just need to cover the butcher bill

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
here is a university of Missouri info site about hogs one trap can be seen toward the bottom of the page http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G9457

a Mississippi State page explaining traps and single catch door vs multi catch door http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/types-traps-feral-pigs.html

there are a number of multi catch door designs but basically they want to push their way in to be with their buddies chowing down so a one way door that still opens when pushed on from the outside but that closes and won't open from the inside

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Trapped three last week, two big ones at the same time, 8 or so in the last two months. MOst in the 150 to 200 pound range.
Ed

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I would think a 12ga loaded with a deer slug should do the job.
I would try to track their movement, see if they visit the same area every day, and what time of day.
Figure that out, then sit and wait.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I would think a 12ga loaded with a deer slug should do the job.
I would try to track their movement, see if they visit the same area every day, and what time of day.
Figure that out, then sit and wait.
It don't even take that much I have killed them with 22-250.

My Son says I'm crazy using a Muzzleloader.

The reason they pass Laws not allowing hunting is because some will turn Hogs loose then charge people for taking them hunting. They tried getting me not to hunt them here because they said it messed up their Trapping, when in truth they messed their own Trapping up.

Here they passed a Law not allowing Importing Wild Hogs. I hunted one place before they would bring in Russian Boars from Austria. Whole different Hog from Feral Hogs. Very Bad attitude and would actually hunt a Human.

big rockpile

Reactions: unioncreek

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks. Yeah these are wild boar, not feral hogs. I dunno about trapping, as I do not think there are very many, and I do not have them patterned yet, and they have so much food available here in farm country, that it may take forever to bait them in.

Rained a bit overnight, maybe I can find some tracks this morning.

My game cam batteries were dead! grrrr.

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
Thanks folks. Yeah these are wild boar, not feral hogs. I dunno about trapping, as I do not think there are very many, and I do not have them patterned yet, and they have so much food available here in farm country, that it may take forever to bait them in.

Rained a bit overnight, maybe I can find some tracks this morning.

My game cam batteries were dead! grrrr.
go pick up buckets of acorns , and keep some corn ,save some apples build the trap , wait till the ground is frozen hard and all the good eats are under a few inches of snow and i think you will lure them in better

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Are you saying you have Russian Boar? Feral hogs don't look like the hogs that got out of the pen long ago, only takes a few years to revert back to wild looking state, and only a few weeks to become wild in nature.

Some places the local feral hogs have had some Russian introduced and those rascals are pure meanness. One of the hogs I trapped last few weeks was a light grey color, most are the wild hog "mud" color.

I strongly suspect you have the "normal" feral hog, possibly with some Russian in the bloodlines.

In any case, these are smart and dangerous animals, so be careful out there.

Ed

Reactions: greg_n_ga and tab

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
for hunting in the north unlike the south tracking snow especially a deep snow will likely lead you right to them , wait till the snow gives you the edge then slip on the snow shoes and track them , if you go looking the day after a snow with the snowmobile once you find their tracks that can't be to far

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
.............The amazing thing for me is that they can survive -30 to -40F below zero temps in southern Canada ! I would've never believed that such is possible . Surely , there is no rooting in frozen soil . , fordy

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Supposedly part of the rational in outlawing shooting hogs in ny is it supposedly scatters the groups. Has anyone found that to be true? The ones around here do have russian bloodlines. Coming north from downstate. Either feral or Russian, they can he dangerous. Tusks are sharp. They are prolific. They can damage acres at a rip, are you seeing much damage?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
This one is Feral

This one 100% Russian

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Bait before

After

big rockpile